Roosevelt Island Firehouse

68jk09

Back when MSU was on Roosevelt Island (then called Welfare Island) they had a CD Pumper in their Qtrs.... there were no Hi Rise Residential Bldgs ......many of the structures were abandoned medical & dormitory type bldgs ( in '68 we drilled in these bldgs while we were there in proby school ).....the main occupied bldgs were the two Hospitals named Goldwater Memorial Hosp. https://forgotten-ny.com/2017/05/goldwater-hospital-roosevelt-island-2002/ & Bird S. Coler Hosp. autopsy-of-a-hospital-a-photographic-record-of-coler-goldwater-on-roosevelt-island when a Box came in two FFs working in MSU would respond with the Pumper & provide a Preliminary for the incoming Units from off the Island & do whatever they could till other Units arrived......( pretty daunting occupied bldgs for the two initial FFs to be responding to with their backup a distance away ).

Last edited:

skiLB

Back when MSU was on Roosevelt Island (then called Welfare Island) they had a CD Pumper in their Qtrs.... there were no Hi Rise Residential Bldgs ......many of the structures were abandoned medical & dormitory type bldgs ( in '68 we drilled in these bldgs while we were there in proby school ).....the main occupied bldgs were the two Hospitals named Goldwater Memorial Hosp. https://forgotten-ny.com/2017/05/goldwater-hospital-roosevelt-island-2002/ & Bird S. Coler Hosp. autopsy-of-a-hospital-a-photographic-record-of-coler-goldwater-on-roosevelt-island when a Box came in two FFs working in MSU would respond with the Pumper & provide a Preliminary for the incoming Units from off the Island & do whatever they could till other Units arrived......( pretty daunting occupied bldgs for the two initial FFs to be responding to with their backup a distance away ).
cool history brother.

In 1900, Engine 49 was a combination company that included a ladder truck. Engine 51 was a floating engine. I guess E16, then in quarters separate from L7, had to ferry over?

entropychaser

In addition to 319, the additional Signal 3 (not class 3) Special Building Boxes were on Blackwell's Island:
313 City Hospital
314 Penitentiary
315 Carpenter and Shoe Shop
316 Warden's Residence
317 Women's Almshouse
318 Men's Almshouse
321 Workhouse (not to be confused with Engine 49)
322 Lunatic Asylum (retreat)
323 Lunatic Asylum (lodge)
324 Metropolitan Hospital, Main Building
325 Pavilion, North End

skiLB

In addition to 319, the additional Signal 3 (not class 3) Special Building Boxes were on Blackwell's Island:
313 City Hospital
314 Penitentiary
315 Carpenter and Shoe Shop
316 Warden's Residence
317 Women's Almshouse
318 Men's Almshouse
321 Workhouse (not to be confused with Engine 49)
322 Lunatic Asylum (retreat)
323 Lunatic Asylum (lodge)
324 Metropolitan Hospital, Main Building
325 Pavilion, North End
Love "Lunatic Asylum" & the retreat & lodge. Lol

TLTruckie

Sure ..it would be nice to have a “real fire house“ on the island , but not very practical ...the runs and work don't really justify it. I worked for 13 years in R-4 and maybe responded to 3 or 4 ,10-75‘s or greater on the island in my time. E-260 is only a few blocks to the bridge and L-116 isn’t that much further.

SOC has to go somewhere...Roosevelt Island isn’t perfect , but it’s SOMEWHAT centrally located in the city with easy Access to Queens , Manhattan and the Bronx. SOC really needs its own new place ....more of a big warehouse or commercial building...centrally located in the city , Maspeth, or LIC ,would be perfect. Needs to be big enough to consolidate, SOC island , the RDC and be able to store all the SOC equipment that is now being stored outdoors and scattered though out the City.

Last edited:

skiLB

Sure ..it would be nice to have a “real fire house“ on the island , but not very practical ...the runs and work don't really justify it. I worked for 13 years in R-4 and maybe responded to 3 or 4 ,10-75‘s or greater on the island in my time. E-260 is only a few blocks to the bridge and L-116 isn’t that much further.

SOC has to go somewhere...Roosevelt Island isn’t perfect , but it’s SOMEWHAT centrally located in the city with easy Access to Queens , Manhattan and the Bronx. SOC really needs its own new place ....more of a big warehouse or commercial building...centrally located in the city , Maspeth, or LIC ,would be perfect. Needs to be big enough to consolidate, SOC island , the RDC and be able to store all the SOC equipment that is now being stored outdoors and scattered though out the City.
You speak the truth brother.

TLTruckie

Beside, if the where to open any new companies ( highly doubtful) I can think of many other place that are way busier or with longer responses time due to companies being so distant from each other. Right now the area around Hudson Yards comes to mind.

skiLB

For sure! but you said it "highly doubtful", I'll go one further Im 50... not in my lifetime. Mayor & council closed 6 firehouse to save what 18million (They say its cost city 3 million to run FH a year) That's chump change for the city of NY & none of them reopened. Just a shame.

soda-acid

Wait until the next mayor is elected (whoever that is). None of the candidates are really addressing the financial hole the city is in. The next mayor may be closing a lot more than 6 companies.

skiLB

Wait until the next mayor is elected (whoever that is). None of the candidates are really addressing the financial hole the city is in. The next mayor may be closing a lot more than 6 companies.
Shoot man..I really really hope not.