Roster Staffing

Confused on what entirely what this is. I was looking through sections of fdnewyork.com and I've seen "Roster Staffing" on two rundowns, 66 - 55 - 733, and
66 - 66 - 749 with E1 being assigned as the third engine. Was this meant to fill out the assignment or does this have something to do with understaffed companies?

Confused on what entirely what this is. I was looking through sections of fdnewyork.com and I've seen "Roster Staffing" on two rundowns, 66 - 55 - 733, and
66 - 66 - 749 with E1 being assigned as the third engine. Was this meant to fill out the assignment or does this have something to do with understaffed companies?
As most engines are 4 man, they send the 3rd engine as 10-14 (roster staffing) to increase manpower. The response is now 3 and 2 with engine 33 the 10-14 engine. At least that is how it was explained to me. The firehouse teleprinter would read 10-14 roster staffing on the ticket. Not sure what it says nowadays.

There used to be I think 60 engines staffed with an officer and 5 ff. The rest were 1&4.

The minimum response at the time for a structural fire was
2E & 1L(2L’s if the first 2 normally assigned were avail)
If one of those 2 engines acknowledged the run with the 10-14, it would prompt the response of a 3rd engine.
The roster staffing agreement expired several years ago at one point all engines except for the 7 squads and 4 HMTU engines went down to 4 ff.

the minimum response to a structural fire at that point went to 3&2.

Since then I believe there are 20 additional engines that start each tour with 5 ff based on the ff union agreement with the city.

There used to be I think 60 engines staffed with an officer and 5 ff. The rest were 1&4.

If one of those 2 engines acknowledged the run with the 10-14, it would prompt the response of a 3rd engine.
The roster staffing agreement expired several years ago at one point all engines except for the 7 squads and 4 HMTU engines went down to 4 ff.

Since then I believe there are 20 additional engines that start each tour with 5 ff based on the ff union agreement with the city.
What determines the engines that receive the 5th FF? Building construction, density, etc?

It was 60 Engines. Then the City cut it down to 20. I remember seeing on this site maybe last year that the last 20 we're reduced to 4FF's. At least that's what I remember, may be wrong.

It was 60 Engines. Then the City cut it down to 20. I remember seeing on this site maybe last year that the last 20 we're reduced to 4FF's. At least that's what I remember, may be wrong.
Last year a big deal was made that due to more members than usual being on sick leave, the department was no longer contractually obligated to staff those companies with the fifth member until the sick leave went back under the contractually negotiated threshold. It's something that happens from time to time and usually isn't noticed. The companies still have their firth member.