San Gennaro Festival 2021

Mobile Command Center 2
Reserve Engine 500
Reserve Engine 505
Reserve Engine 514
ATV 168
MB ATV 1
MB ATV 2
2nd Section for Engine 55 (A Engine will Relocate and cover 2nd Section)
2nd Section for Ladder 20 (A Ladder will Relocate and cover 2nd Section)

Engines 55, 9, 7 and Reserve Engines have the Feast Kit on the back step of the rigs.
Feast Kit has 6 Lengths of 1inch 3/4 with a Nozzle and a Manifold. 2 FFs will take the Feast Kit to the front of the fire building, 2 other FFs will stretch a 2.5 line to manifold. The Reserve Engines are placed inside the Feast where Engine companies wouldn't be able to get to....

For those of you not familiar with the San Gennaro festival, I will relate an experience.

I am not from that part of the city but one of my best friends in high school lived on Mulberry Street. Upon occasion I would be invited to his home for dinner and his lovely Italian mother would heep delicious food upon me in an attempt to fatten up my 6’3” frame. It was the first time this Irish boy heard the term, “mange, mange”! Great memories from many years ago.

Perhaps a decade or so ago I was entertaining a lady friend from Dallas, Texas. She desired to taste authentic Italian Cuisine (ain’t available in Dallas, let me tell you) and so I took her to Little Italy on a Saturday night. Unbeknownst to me it just happened to be the weekend of this Festival. As we attempted to move down Mulberry Street to find one of my favorite restaurants we became engulfed in the pedestrian traffic pattern. The booths of the street vendors extended well from the curb, leaving a narrow venue to move in only one direction south towards Old Saint Patrick’s. The crowds around us were elbow to elbow...we were literally trapped ...keep moving in that direction or else. My lady friend became claustrophobic and began hyperventilating as we walked. I must say that I was a bit uncomfortable myself. Scary. I was able to coax her along and after several blocks the crowd thinned and we felt free. I found my favorite restaurant but it was a mess. People streaming in and out to use the bathrooms, the tables not cleared as the wait staff was overwhelmed ...you get the picture. Overall, a bad scene.

We return to my car and I took Miss Lovely Dallas up to Arthur Avenue (my stomping grounds) and had a fabulous dinner at Emilia’s...at Bronx prices no less.

God bless the members of E55, L20 And the rest of the first due companies. Be safe.

San Gennaro memory: I went with my then girl friend in the early 70s. She won a goldfish in a bowl. We had to transport it to her upper West Side apartment on the NYC subway. You should seen the looks!

Mobile Command Center 2
Reserve Engine 500
Reserve Engine 505
Reserve Engine 514
ATV 168
MB ATV 1
MB ATV 2
2nd Section for Engine 55 (A Engine will Relocate and cover 2nd Section)
2nd Section for Ladder 20 (A Ladder will Relocate and cover 2nd Section)

Engines 55, 9, 7 and Reserve Engines have the Feast Kit on the back step of the rigs.
Feast Kit has 6 Lengths of 1inch 3/4 with a Nozzle and a Manifold. 2 FFs will take the Feast Kit to the front of the fire building, 2 other FFs will stretch a 2.5 line to manifold. The Reserve Engines are placed inside the Feast where Engine companies wouldn't be able to get to....

Also add B-70

The Feast of San Gennaro will run from Thursday (September 16) at 6 p.m. until Sunday (September 26). The celebration is NYC’s largest and longest-running Italian festival and celebrates Italian culture and food, with religious processions, parades, and live music among other festivities. On Fridays and Saturdays festival hours are extended to midnight. Free music happens most nights from 7:30 p.m. onward, and you can stake out the 22nd annual cannoli-eating competition on Friday (September 17) at 1 p.m.

shutterstock_178497554.jpgShutterstock
This year, the festival will also feature their first-ever pizza eating contest on Friday (September 24) at 1 p.m., in addition to the 23rd annual cannoli-eating contest on Friday, September 17 at 1 p.m., second annual zeppole eating contest on Wednesday (September 22) at 1 p.m., and the fourth annual meatball eating contest taking place Sunday (September 26) at 1 p.m.

Some other events to keep your eye on include:
  • Blessing of the Sands: Thursday, Sept. 16 at. 6 p.m.
  • Frank Sinatra Show: Saturday, Sept. 18 at 2 p.m.
  • 25th Annual Enrico Caruso Opera Night: Tuesday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m.
  • The Grand Procession: Floats, celebrities, gondolas, Red Mike Festival Band and the STATUE OF SAN GENNARO, all honoring our First Responders. Saturday, Sept. 25 at 2 p.m.
The Festival takes place on and around Mulberry Street between Canal and Houston Streets.

The Feast of San Gennaro will run from Thursday (September 16) at 6 p.m. until Sunday (September 26). The celebration is NYC’s largest and longest-running Italian festival and celebrates Italian culture and food, with religious processions, parades, and live music among other festivities. On Fridays and Saturdays festival hours are extended to midnight. Free music happens most nights from 7:30 p.m. onward, and you can stake out the 22nd annual cannoli-eating competition on Friday (September 17) at 1 p.m.

View attachment 14840Shutterstock
This year, the festival will also feature their first-ever pizza eating contest on Friday (September 24) at 1 p.m., in addition to the 23rd annual cannoli-eating contest on Friday, September 17 at 1 p.m., second annual zeppole eating contest on Wednesday (September 22) at 1 p.m., and the fourth annual meatball eating contest taking place Sunday (September 26) at 1 p.m.

Some other events to keep your eye on include:
  • Blessing of the Sands: Thursday, Sept. 16 at. 6 p.m.
  • Frank Sinatra Show: Saturday, Sept. 18 at 2 p.m.
  • 25th Annual Enrico Caruso Opera Night: Tuesday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m.
  • The Grand Procession: Floats, celebrities, gondolas, Red Mike Festival Band and the STATUE OF SAN GENNARO, all honoring our First Responders. Saturday, Sept. 25 at 2 p.m.
The Festival takes place on and around Mulberry Street between Canal and Houston Streets.
gr8 pic.... not going lie im in mood for sausage n peppers hero, some zeppoles , & finish it off with a cappuccino

Years ago it was great. A couple friends had stands there. Sausage and peppers of course!

Ran into Tony Danza a few years ago - he was a part owner of the old Italian Food Center on Grand Street. Was out there working hard all day.

For those of you not familiar with the San Gennaro festival, I will relate an experience.

I am not from that part of the city but one of my best friends in high school lived on Mulberry Street. Upon occasion I would be invited to his home for dinner and his lovely Italian mother would heep delicious food upon me in an attempt to fatten up my 6’3” frame. It was the first time this Irish boy heard the term, “mange, mange”! Great memories from many years ago.

Perhaps a decade or so ago I was entertaining a lady friend from Dallas, Texas. She desired to taste authentic Italian Cuisine (ain’t available in Dallas, let me tell you) and so I took her to Little Italy on a Saturday night. Unbeknownst to me it just happened to be the weekend of this Festival. As we attempted to move down Mulberry Street to find one of my favorite restaurants we became engulfed in the pedestrian traffic pattern. The booths of the street vendors extended well from the curb, leaving a narrow venue to move in only one direction south towards Old Saint Patrick’s. The crowds around us were elbow to elbow...we were literally trapped ...keep moving in that direction or else. My lady friend became claustrophobic and began hyperventilating as we walked. I must say that I was a bit uncomfortable myself. Scary. I was able to coax her along and after several blocks the crowd thinned and we felt free. I found my favorite restaurant but it was a mess. People streaming in and out to use the bathrooms, the tables not cleared as the wait staff was overwhelmed ...you get the picture. Overall, a bad scene.

We return to my car and I took Miss Lovely Dallas up to Arthur Avenue (my stomping grounds) and had a fabulous dinner at Emilia’s...at Bronx prices no less.

God bless the members of E55, L20 And the rest of the first due companies. Be safe.
You can't go wrong with Arthur Ave!

What's the minimal stocking for the reserve engines. Always thought they were fully equipped like a front line rig. Seems like that is not the case. Missing ground ladders and varied lengths of hose in the hose beds. Interesting to see all three reserve engines were hooked up to hydrants as well.

What's the minimal stocking for the reserve engines. Always thought they were fully equipped like a front line rig. Seems like that is not the case. Missing ground ladders and varied lengths of hose in the hose beds. Interesting to see all three reserve engines were hooked up to hydrants as well.
They are suppose to be fully stocked but the depending on where it’s hosed they take stuff off of them as needed. They are to all be hooked up to hydrants and not to much. They use the Feast Kit and will stretch a 2.5 line from the engine to the manifold and use that line. E9 E7 E55 have special spots to hook up in that area if they had to. They also have Feast Kits which they carry the 6 lengths of 1inch 3/4 hose.