Scott Paks return to the wire frame

Just released at FDIC . Scott’s newest scba, I still call them paks, is utilizing the wire frame similar to what was used in the 80’s. Outstanding! I loved the wire frame paks. IMG_8383.jpegIMG_8382.jpeg

Not so sure about loving them. In 1994 while at L112 I fell backwards @3 ft on my back. I broke two vertebrae because the wire frame was so old there was no tension left, it should have acted like a shock absorber. Rite where the bottle attached to the waist.
I wrote a letter to Safety explaining there needed to be more cushioning at that point. I believe Chief Santoro? replies and asked if I would participate in a study and panel for recommendations. When I returned to full duty about 6 months later I called to inquire about the study. I was told, indirectly, that that idea was canned due to legal and $$. The costs of updating or replacement was not in the budget.
Unless these wire frame pacs have been improved or given a ‘shelf life’ I do not have great regards to them.
My opinion

Talking to some tech's in the past they mentioned that FDNY wanted a newer updated wire frame design, well here it is.

The original NASA project F.I.R.E.S. = Firefighter Integrated Response Ensemble System that was tested in the late 1970s had a solid frame to hold the SCBA bottle in place. It was very comfortable. and very light. But it cost too much so the later, Production Verson, the Scoff 4.5 used the wire frame design. It was not as good as the NASA design, but it was much better than old FDNY Scott 1As. I was detailed to the Div. of Training, "The Rock" to test the NASA mask, in test fires at the "Rock". I was assigned to TL-18 and was the representative for the FDNY 1st Division 4th Battalion, because I was a Fire Science student. The New SCBA Facepieces and Nomex Bunker gear also came out of that NASA Technical Utilization Program.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

I always felt some type of padding around the lower belt would distribute the any force against the back.
Whenever the Company went to the Rock for training we would drop our mask at Mask unit and get them back after. I would always try to get exchanges for newer harnesses and face pieces. But there was never any ‘new’ harnesses. That’s the problem the job never updated that part of the mask unit. Should have a shelf life like everything else
Hopefully that has changed

I always felt some type of padding around the lower belt would distribute the any force against the back.
Whenever the Company went to the Rock for training we would drop our mask at Mask unit and get them back after. I would always try to get exchanges for newer harnesses and face pieces. But there was never any ‘new’ harnesses. That’s the problem the job never updated that part of the mask unit. Should have a shelf life like everything else
Hopefully t
Hope you are doing better.