Special Unit Voice Alarm

Obviously everyone is familiar with the "BEEE-DOOO        SPECIAL UNIT" but how does that work say for example at Rescue 3 where there are two special units, rescue and RAC. Do the members have to wait for housewatch to read off the run and ring out the companies to know who got a job or does the RAC get alerted some other way? I imagine at R3 it's not a huge issue because on a 10-75 the rescue is dispatched first with the RAC only going on the all hands but I wouldn't think it's unreasonable for the RAC to get sent out of borough without the rescue.

Likewise, how do they know that they need to bring the collapse rescue? Does the voice alarm announce both special units (SPECIAL UNIT        SPECIAL UNIT) or is it just on the MDT in housewatch? I imagine this would apply to squads and HMTU engines with the HM vehicles (ENGINE        SPECIAL UNIT)?

They can assign it anything they want. They can have it say engine or ladder to designate the RAC going. They do it on Roosevelt Island that way with the multiple special units they have there.

I've been retired since 2002. When I was on the job, the announcement for rescue 3 and the collapse rescue would be, "Special Unit, Special Unit". The ticket would explain which units were assigned.