Spring Get Together

We are starting to talk about a little get together for maybe this spring. Last year our Member Meeting was Great and there is no way to top that. That is one tough act to follow.

But this time, really no special plans, just a few hand shakes and maybe a bite to eat. If you remember last year there was a diffucult time trying to make plans to visit one or two firehouses. Maybe due to security reasons. So this year, no special plans. Just a day or two of "hanging out".

mack said:
Bill - Sounds like a great idea. Count me in.  Maybe we can invite the Bendicks to thank them for all they did to host our last get together.

You are absolutely correct there "macK'. When things actually started going sour, they were the one's that picked up the ball and ran with it. It was John Bendick Sr, retired FDNY Captain that paid out of his own pocket for the Hall, and made sure we had plenty to eat. His two sons Tommy (site owner) and John, both members of the FDNY, along with Mike (Truck 4) got the ball rolling on those Great tours we had. If it wasn't for these Four guys, there probadly wouldn't have been a meeting, certainly not like the one we had.

This year, I'm thinking of maybe a Thursday and a Friday. We can go one day in the Brooklyn/Queens/S.I. area, and maybe do Donavan's Rest. and then do a day in Bronx/Manhattan area. I have been a huge fan of a place called Pepe's Pizza. The orginial one was in New Haven, Ct and if you ever go there you would see that it drew past presidents of our country. Presidents Reegan, and President Clinton all visited that restraunt. Its been World Famous. Now there are many Pepes throughout the Ct and NY area. There's now one in Yonkers which might be a good place for us to visit.

I can't promise this but maybe $20.00 each would pretty much cover any cost for each meal. I would just need to get a head count so we can advise the places. And so that nobody gets stuck, payment made prior to our planned date.

And whatever Fire dept related happens to come up, we can take it from there.

I will be in NY (Staten Island) from May 1st until May 8th. If the time period is right count me in except for That Saturday, (Grandsons Communion)

Jack O'Reilly

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
In Yonkers - near Squad 11 there is a resturant with OUTSTANDING food, but not Manhattan prices called Pete's. They have an upstairs room. The location is Tuckanoe Rd & Central Ave.  Free off street parking in rear of store. Off the Sprain Brook Pkwy & I-87. The owner is a former NYC Highway 1 officer.

Jack, May 1 - 8th is certainly a good time to consider. Atlas, Pete's sounds like a good spot too, and Frank (fdce54) I think you're right. That Pepes is near a Dunkin Donuts, and I think a Post Office.

But maybe we'll give Petes a try. Besides being near Squad 11 in Yonkers probadly isn't that bad of a spot.

truck4

Administrator
I think you mean Carlo's on Tuckahoe Road. Italian joint. Pepe's is a little north on Central going toward Station 14. 

I think it would be a great for the guys to get together. unfortunately I was not able to make the last meeting. it would be a pleasure to meet all the guys from the firenet site. today I was honored to meet a member. it was my pleasure an honor to meet Gene, aka efd274. Gene stopped by my house today to pick up a book that we had been talking about. the book is related to the new york city fire department. I am looking forward  to meet all the guys from this site.

With much respect
Doug  aka  Lone319Wolf

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
OKAY YOUR GUYS GOT THE RIGHT PLACE. HE HAS AN UPSTAIRS AREA. PETE IS THE OWNER. SORRY!!!!

Regarding our Spring Get Together "2012", I have been talking to John Bendick who basically set up the entire operation for last October's Member Meeting. As I said, and those that were there would certainly agree, "it was one of the Best". The food was Excellent, and using that Hall in Yonkers was a Great idea. Everything went well.

But I'm going to ask your opinion in helping to make the plans for this year. John would like to plan our Get Together Again at this Hall. I'm certainly in favor of that. First we have come up with two possible dates. Either Thursday May 3rd (that would be good for "JOR176" who mentioned that week earlier to us) or on the following week, Friday May 11th. Let us know, which would be best for you. Just either post your idea here or send me a "PM".

The other thing is that, if we do get this hall, we would need a solid commitment and cash deposit from those that plan to attend no later than two weeks prior. We all need to pay our fare share for the use of this hall and the meal. Nobody should be stuck with a bill to pay out of their own pocket. But that price would have to be decided at a later date.

So now we seem to be looking at just a one day get together either May 3rd or May 11th. Right now, we are only talking the hall/dinner. There no current plans for any FDNY tours, but that could change.

So let us know which date is best for you. And are you willing to make a commitment for the hall rental. Just a guess here, maybe $30 - $40.00 for the night depending on how many would like to attend.

I have been talking with "mack" recently and he asked me about the spring get together for "2012". As it stands, we are talking about a get together for Thursday May 3rd. I know "JOR176" (Jack O'Rielly) had mentioned that he might be able to attend at that time.

"mack" also mentioned that he would probadly be able to attend then also. So nothing official yet on a meeting place, but my early guess is that our "2012" Spring Get Together will most likely be on that date (5/3/12). And most likely depending on the number of guys attending is the deciding factor on where we have it.

So that's where we stand. Of course as with last year, my guess is that "TBendick", JBendick" and "Truck 4" will also be involved in the planning. Whatever way it is, it's just a Great time to see a few friends.

Just a quick reminder that our next Member Meeting get together is scheduled for Thursday May 3rd. A few guys have been asking about it lately and are interested.

I do expect to have more details on it shortly. But we haven't forgotten. 

Just a quick reminder to all the members, we haven't forgotten about our Spring Get Together. It is still planned for Thursday May 3rd. We are working on the details. A few guys have been asking about it. So keep the date open if you're interested in attending.

To all our fans and friends of www.nycfire.net . The date has been set and the plans are made for this years Member Meeting Get Together. The Date is Thursday May 3rd and the location is the home of John Bendick, retired FDNY Captain. 

John has invited us over to his home for a Cookout and also advises me that there will be videos and photos for all of us to enjoy later in the evening. The only thing that John request is that if you are interested you contact either myself (NFD2004) or John himself (Jbendick) by "PM" if you wish to attend, so he can get a final count for the amount of food. He ask that you contact either one of us by Monday evening April 30th. The final cost would be based on food divided by the number of people attending.

I Thank John for this offer to use his home. He's a Great guy and once again, he bails me out!!! So make your plans. Also just to advise those who may want to spend the night, I will probably be booking a room at the Ramada Inn on Baychester Ave in the Bronx as I did last year for anybody wishing to stay there.

I know I'm looking forward to it, and it would be Great if I needed to charter a Bus to bring down a group from my hometown in the State of Connecticut.

Hope to hear from you by April 30th.

Thanks guys.

Willy "D" (NFD 2004)

nfd2004 said:
To all our fans and friends of www.nycfire.net . The date has been set and the plans are made for this years Member Meeting Get Together. The Date is Thursday May 3rd and the location is the home of John Bendick, retired FDNY Captain. 

John has invited us over to his home for a Cookout and also advises me that there will be videos and photos for all of us to enjoy later in the evening. The only thing that John request is that if you are interested you contact either myself (NFD2004) or John himself (Jbendick) by "PM" if you wish to attend, so he can get a final count for the amount of food. He ask that you contact either one of us by Monday evening April 30th. The final cost would be based on food divided by the number of people attending.

I Thank John for this offer to use his home. He's a Great guy and once again, he bails me out!!! So make your plans. Also just to advise those who may want to spend the night, I will probably be booking a room at the Ramada Inn on Baychester Ave in the Bronx as I did last year for anybody wishing to stay there.

I know I'm looking forward to it, and it would be Great if I needed to charter a Bus to bring down a group from my hometown in the State of Connecticut.

Hope to hear from you by April 30th.

Thanks guys.

Willy "D" (NFD 2004)

I would like to remind everybody of this years Spring Get Together scheduled for Thursday May 3rd. As it stands, Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick has offered to have a cookout at his home, with some videos and of course plenty of stories of the FDNY.  His two sons (Tommy and John) who are also Active Members of the FDNY plan to be there.

Let me just say this. Because of this site, I have gotten to know the entire Bendick family. You just can't ask for better people. And God Bless Madiline, wife and mother of these firefighters for putting up with all the different shifts, plus the never ending worry of her husband and sons. And by the way, her son Mike Bendick, is also a firefighter in New Jersey.

Speaking for myself, I have met some of the Best people out there and we all have the same interest. I consider myself a pretty lucky guy to have such good friends. Part of that friendship has developed because of this site and the people who have joined us all at one of our gatherings. Not only people from the New York Metro area, but as far away as Virginia, Tennesse, and Fla.

We are planning this for a cookout at John Bendicks house in Yonkers, N.Y. (just north of the Bronx). John and I have also been discussing having the Get Together at an Applebees restraunt within a few blocks of his home. There is an area there that would be able to accommadate us.

If you are interested in joining us, we ask you to please let either myself (NFD2004) or John Bendick (JBendick) know if you plan to attend by Monday evening April 30th.

Its always a good time and a great chance to meet some new friends and see a few maybe you haven't seen in awhile. We have many members on this site. Some are; Volunteers, Buffs, Firefighters, Dispatchers, EMTs, Police Officers, Old, Young, Retired and Active. You are ALL Welcomed to join us for the day. I'm sure there'll be a few laughs, some stories, and plenty of food.

If I have your E-mail address, I'll probadly be sending you a special invatation. You are my special friends. I hope you can make it. Or if anybody has any questions, you can send me an E-mail at wm.helen.dennis@sbcglobal.net .

Just a reminder of the spring get together this Thursday May 3rd. If you're interested in going, please get back to John or myself by this Monday night April 30th.

Some have expressed interest, but I've gotten confirmation from "fdce54" and "bronx72". We've gotten some other inquiries. Maybe John has gotten a few too.

Hey Guys, last call for the Spring Get Together. If the weather is decent, which so far appears to be the case, we are having a cookout at John Bendicks house in Yonkers. He has a nice deck for us to sit on while we fill our bellies. If the weather doesn't cooperate, the plan is to make a trip over to the Applebees only a few blocks from his home.

So far the list of attendees are: John Bendick "Jbendick"retired FDNY, his two sons, John and Tommy, both members of the FDNY. Mike M "Truck 4", Frank D "fdce54", Rob P "Bronx72", and also recovering from his recent surguey John D "johnd248" and myself "NFD2004".

Theseare some really good people. We all have the same interest. That is of course the FDNY. So some good food, some stories, maybe some videos, and I'm pretty sure a few laughs.

I plan to contact John tomorrow so that he can order the goodies.

If you would like to join us you are certainly welcomed. But we need to hear from you Now.

CFDMarshal said:
I am sorry to say I cannot come this time! Hope all enjoy! Thanks to John for hosting!

Thats okay Elwood, I'm sure there'll be more. I bet that prize winning photo on your fire place mantal is sure looking good. You sure was a lucky guy that night to win that collectors special edition photo. I bet you've had some great living room discussions over a few cool ones with that one.

Hey John. good news. Throw two more steaks on the grill. Steve D "svd385" and Joe M "mack" plan to join the us.