Squad Support Truck

So if the rescue companies have basically everything that is carried on a Tac unit, then it’s redundant to have the Tac units, unless other units use them for something else.
I do see that they respond to second alarms what would be their function at something like this?

Their responsibilities at multiple alarm fires …fire fighting. Brings an additional highly trained, experienced firefighter to the scene …he‘ll team up with the Rescue Battlion on scene and operate with him as needed.
Remember the TAC units were around way before the collapse rigs….about 2005 ,or 2006 if I recall. Prior to that, R-3 was city wide with the only collapse rig. One of the recommendation's as a result of 9-11, was that each Boro should be total independent and self sufficient of each other in case of another large-scale terrorist attack. Hence the collapse rigs . The formation of the Haz mat tec engine companies…and other logistics and support units
and yes ….redundancies, again.

Last edited:
Since there are only two of them I wouldn’t mind seeing both of them upgraded to a full-size rotator type unit similar to what LAFD has and LA County has that way FDNY has two large basically cranes available to them to help with overtime vehicles and other types of heavy rescues, and that way they can sit all that extra every done and get your own there as well, I am even more. this is my opinion.

Don’t they act like a scene support unit as well with lights unless there’s another type of unit that does that I wasn’t sure if there was an illumination unit But that was a good history lesson searchlights were something ice always has a kid in the early 80s were there they were used to help save lives or just for carnivals they were very interesting

Bulldog

Bulldog
Since there are only two of them I wouldn’t mind seeing both of them upgraded to a full-size rotator type unit similar to what LAFD has and LA County has that way FDNY has two large basically cranes available to them to help with overtime vehicles and other types of heavy rescues, and that way they can sit all that extra every done and get your own there as well, I am even more. this is my opinion.
Trucks like LAFD and LAC have don't have the ability to carry the other equipment that the Tactical Support Units of FDNY have so they wouldn't fit the needs of FDNY.

I’m just saying since most of the stuff is already duplicated on other apparatus like the rescue trucks then something of this type can be implemented.

"jloonz", speaking as a buff of the FDNY for many years, I know that any piece of equipment or apparatus is reviewed by the FDNY for it's pros and cons.

The officers of these companies must submit detailed records based on how well it serves it's purpose.
In this case I would assume it to be the SOC Chief who talks to the members assigned, for their thoughts or any changes that should be made.

I would also assume that there is a need for such a vehicle as the FDNY sees fit.

In my years, I have been fortunate to visit dozens of American Cities.
But not every city had the need for certain specialized pieces.
I believe it was the L.A. County FD that had a station (it might have been Sta 85 in Van Neys - ?) with a bulldozer on a trailer.
I went out there in 1984 to visit the L.A. City and County FD then.
These days I think they have more than One Bulldozer

But I just can't see the need for a bulldozer in the FDNY.
If there is, I'm sure the City of New York has them available if needed.

But I just can't see the need for a bulldozer in the FDNY.
If there is, I'm sure the City of New York has them available if needed.

Well, it's technically not a bulldozer, and I'm sure there are things you can do with a big Cat D7 that it won't do . . . but I've driven one of these things (not FDNY), and you can sure do a lot with it, including cutting a fire break if you need to. Eli Gill photo.

!.jpg

Bulldog

Bulldog
Any idea what the backhoe pictured above is used for and where it is stationed? Do they have more than 1 of them? It seems strange that FDNY would have one considering so many other departments in the city also have them.

Don't know where it is kept (SOC would probably be a good guess), but the picture above was taken at the collapse in Brooklyn last year. Videos of that incident show it being used to move debris. And I've seen videos of the skidsteer being used for similar work.

Any idea what the backhoe pictured above is used for and where it is stationed? Do they have more than 1 of them? It seems strange that FDNY would have one considering so many other departments in the city also have them.
They keep them at SOC and the Rock.

I've seen it used to dig trenches at the rock for SOC school (Best trench training is to train in real trenches). As mentioned above also used to clear debris. With all the ongoing projects and different trainings I'm sure it has plenty of uses for lifting/moving heavy objects.