Subway Straps on the Back Step

How many enginemen normally rode the back step of FDNY engines years ago?
In some engine shots in Wheels of The Bravest, there appear to be 4 or 5 "subway straps"; other than the chauffeur and officer, did everyone else ride out back?

mack

Administrator
I've seen 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4, depending upon number of members working, age of apparatus, weather, seating configuration, 1 or 2 piece company. 

Four guys riding the back step of 82 Engine from "The Bronx is Burning":

attachment.php

Hand straps going way back were exactly that ....a leather strap on many models these were not fixed in position &  could actually be slid side to side....subsequently they became the more familiar type of a fixed in place spring loaded subway handle ...then around the '70s they were replaced w/just a rubber covered bar that went from side to side above the back step.....as the years progressed & since actually riding on the backstep was discontinued the step itself also became narrower in depth & cluttered w/things like extinguishers & a container for contaminated EMS stuff like gloves ,dressings etc. .....in the days of riding the back step while responding  there was actual positioning  deciding who stood where depending on assignment like Nozzle.... Backup....Doorman....Hookup... etc.

When did FDNY discontinue back step riders?  I was fortunate enough (arguable I guess) to have ridden back step during my first 2 years 87-88. At the time I wasn't aware of anyone else still riding tailboard, at least in my area.

Back during the days of riding on the back step, how many and what were the riding positions on an Engine?

memory master said:
On the back step in the 60's it was whoever grabbed the nozzle and three folds first.
Also in some ENGs it was whoever got in first for the tour got the Nozzle..

With the road conditions, we often rode with one arm through the subway strap and the other around the back of the guy riding next to you.  Believe me, it helped, especially when your feet spent so much time off the step.