Surfside,FL Partial Condo Building Collapse 6/24/2021

A collapse like that at 1:30 in the A.M. will sadly lead to more victims. There was a report of heavy equipment on the roof and building was under renovation. Check the building card to see who last inspected it.

As of 10 PM tonight, FEMA cannot respond because Florida's Governor has not declared a state of emergency.
I read a few news reports that said the Governor has declared the state of emergency and FEMA has arrived to assist

Bulldog

Bulldog
Lot of rebar to cut through wearing turnouts...90 degrees, 70% humidity.
Fortunately the gear that FEMA teams wear is much lighter weight than firefighting turnout gear. It's obviously still very hot and tedious work however.

I read an article a while ago that said DeSantis signed the emergency declaration about 6 PM yesterday. Normal response for FEMA is the closest 3 teams, there are actually 2 based in Miami, Miami-Dade and Miami FD but I haven't heard what the 3rd team that was dispatched was. I'm not sure which team would be the next closest.

With all the mutual aid from Miami and Miami-Dade, it's probably a good guess that many of their USAR team members were already deployed . . . just without the FEMA imprimatur (and perhaps some FEMA-owned equipment).

Does anyone have a run down of what the initial alarm assignments were? I'd be curious to see how many alarms were transmitted and how many rigs responded. That had to be an eye-opener for the 1st due company to roll out of bed and into all of that.

Considering both Miami-Dade and Miami have FEMA USAR teams, I would imagine they were well prepared to deploy their SOC units early on. I believe Broward County also has a well equipped USAR team. Most of those departments are well trained and well equipped in USAR as a result of being in the center of hurricane country. I know there are many officers on the 2 FEMA teams who are well known throughout the country as Technical Rescue instructors.

Does anyone have a run down of what the initial alarm assignments were? I'd be curious to see how many alarms were transmitted and how many rigs responded. That had to be an eye-opener for the 1st due company to roll out of bed and into all of that.

Considering both Miami-Dade and Miami have FEMA USAR teams, I would imagine they were well prepared to deploy their SOC units early on. I believe Broward County also has a well equipped USAR team. Most of those departments are well trained and well equipped in USAR as a result of being in the center of hurricane country. I know there are many officers on the 2 FEMA teams who are well known throughout the country as Technical Rescue instructors.

This might be the run down,

Bulldog

Bulldog
I was just reading that in addition to the 2 USAR teams from Miami and Miami-Dade, 2 teams from Virginia and one from Ohio have also been alerted for response. I thought normal procedure was for the 3 closest teens to respond but it seems like these 3 are not necessarily the 3 closest, it seems like Tennessee and Texas which both have teams would be closer.

I was just reading that in addition to the 2 USAR teams from Miami and Miami-Dade, 2 teams from Virginia and one from Ohio have also been alerted for response. I thought normal procedure was for the 3 closest teens to respond but it seems like these 3 are not necessarily the 3 closest, it seems like Tennessee and Texas which both have teams would be closer.
Closer in air miles, maybe . . . but it's a straight shot down I-95 from Virginia to Miami; 4 hours less travel time Va Beach - Miami (VA TF-2) than Houston - Miami per Google maps. Similar comparing Dallas to Fairfax.

Here's a longer bit of scanner traffic from the incident.

Lot of stuff in there that will make great training for the future, from the initial size-up by E76 as posted earlier to the rapid ICS set-up and the general response to a major collapse.

Closer in air miles, maybe . . . but it's a straight shot down I-95 from Virginia to Miami; 4 hours less travel time Va Beach - Miami (VA TF-2) than Houston - Miami per Google maps. Similar comparing Dallas to Fairfax.
OH-TF1 is on the grounds of Wright-Patterson AFB. All FEMA equipment is packed in a way to fit on a C17, which they happen to have a bunch of at Wright-Patt. They’d be waiting for the guys to get there longer than they’d be waiting for the plane to be loaded and to MIA.

From multiple sources, times approximate, unit arrival order not confirmed

Firefighterclosecalls.com

Dispatch and initial company arrival and size up: https://youtu.be/f3jnQXBnFLc

Security camera video of the building collapsing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXLQxEJz0Tw

E76 E27 E10 E30 E63
TL22 TL21
RS69 HM69
BC1
EMS33
R76

E35 E1 E17 E44 E40 E45 E7 E2 E11 E51 E54
TL26 L19
BC4 BC12 BC3
EMS54 EMS48 EMS43 EMS6
R7 R26 R54 R2 R202 R38 R11 R51 R1 R35 R44 R64

E32 E8
L46 L31 TL38
R21 R27 R78 R18 R19 R33 R31 R8
BC11 BC2 BC5
Awesome Run down did any other units respond?