Swift Water Rescues

FDNY placed five of these in service during the hurricane namely:

SWR 1 @ R1
SWR 2 @ S 270
SWR 3 @ L 159
SWR 4 @ E 72
SWR 5 @ E 165

Does anyone know what these units use?  equipment etc.?    Any pictures?

I heard over the the radio last night Bronx To Rapid Response 47 , twice & Then Bronx to Rapid Response 50 also twice anybody know what that is ?

RRV=Rapid Response Vehicle.....it is the normal second piece of a SOC Support Truck but during storms & such it is manned by 2 additional  FFs & responds alone  to certain type emergencies. 

SWR = Swift Water Rescue....a pumper w/ a boat on it & Members equipped for water rescue.

I also know there was one at L159, dont know if thats what you meant with E159.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The fema team has trained members,  there are no units in service with this training. 
We have surf rescue,  cold water rescue and scuba (rescue)
All others have a basic kit for rescue from land but can't.enter the water.

I saw a pic of a BOT Engine with a boat motor on the back of it....will try find photo and post

MP1234 said:
I also know there was one at L159, don't know if that's what you meant with E159.

I changed the designation based on your input.  It makes sense to me, that would put a unit in each of the boroughs.

Still would love to get pictures of the rigs and equipment.

Actually, I think I saw news footage of two boats in action.  Orange  colored boats,  hard type like Zodiacs, and members had orange suits and orange rounded helmets. 

I also saw footage of the department  operating on SI.  There they had orange boats, but they were inflatables coming off a Scuba truck

tbendick said:
The fema team has trained members,  there are no units in service with this training. 
We have surf rescue,  cold water rescue and scuba (rescue)
All others have a basic kit for rescue from land but can't.enter the water.

In 2001 SOC Companies were told that one of the next segments of Technical Rescue School was going to be Swift Water Rescue. Of course the terrorist attacks on 9/11/01 put a lot of things on hold. I retired in 2002 and don't know if the job ever followed through with this plan.