"Take a mark. Remain 10-8"

What is a "mark"?  Does that mean anything substantive to the company being told to go 10-8, or is it just a dispatcherism like "ERS all the way"?

Take a mark remain in service means you get credit for the run and stay in service available for another run.  Ers all the way is it's a street box with voice contact and when you get to the location you ask for a 10-7 which means any additional info and that's when they say ers all the way. Usually a 10-92

Thanks. I understand what both those sayings mean but didn't know if it was just dispatcher jargon or if it meant something to the company officer like (1) the company got credit for the run (which you stated it does) or (2) still needed to file a report even they didn't operate at the box/incident (assuming a report is usually filed in the FDNY by the first-due/operating company or incident commander). That's all. Thanks again.

To "take a mark" means to make a written record of whatever event is being referenced.  It can be done by a Co. officer, a chief, a fireman....anyone.  "Take a mark" for the run means to make a record of it.  "Take a mark for your injury" means to record it in the journal and fill out an injury report.  As 103-ret'd said...a chief takes a mark in the co. journal when he visits quarters...usually...lol.  Some things should be recorded...others maybe not.  Stay safe.

Back in the early sixties, to the best of my memory, We had a job at a large parking garage on Atlantic Ave. where the night attendant was killed. An Auxiliary fireman from E225 was arrested and charged with setting the fire.On our return to quarters after the job the Lieutenant had me make an entry in RED in both the Company Journal and the CD Journal regarding the matter. Most likely the only time that an Auxiliary Fireman made an entry in the their companies Department Journal. Possibly L-103ret might remember that job. They should have been second due on the box. The job went to a deuce before all was said and done.

Bulldog

Bulldog
What is a CD journal?  I know what I company journal is but I've never heard of a CD journal.

Bulldog,  The CD journal was the same as a Dept. Journal and was where the Auxiliary fireman signed in when reporting for duty and also signed out when leaving.  A FDNY Lieutenant, who was assigned to oversee Auxiliary activities, such as drills, would also take a mark in that journal when he visited quarters.  At Engine 225 it was kept at the house watch desk.