Television from a different time

Each weekday afternoon Channel 13 aired cowboy shows around 4 PM. Lash LaRue, Johnny Mac Brown, Hoppy and others. There was a cartoon show on also, can't remember what time, on 13 hosted by "Uncle Fred." Channel 13 was a New Jersey outfit that transmitted from NYC. On a different note, Channel 5 was WNEW, a Dumont Broadcasting company at the time.

Arthur Godfrey, Sid Ceasar, Imogene Coca, The Honeymooners, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Lone Ranger and Tonto, Lawrence Welk to name a few.
Captain Video, Tom Corbett Space Cadet, Howdy Doody (Princess Summerfallwinterspring was a babe), Rescue 8 (with Jim Davis; LA County FD and his '57 GMC panel truck, pompier belt and all . . . the precursor to Johnny & Roy) . . .

mack

Administrator
Pictures of iconic Tonight Show host Johnny Carson, at the Rock. Here's Johnnyyyy:

c47c5453730cfd7f638264c754c6dda1.jpg
2.jpg 3.jpg

6.jpg

Back in the late 1970s, from 1976-1979, there was a very famous weekly show starring a very talented brother and sister team.

BUT - would you know who this guy was if he served you at one of those California Juice bars ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8qNIbURgG0

They recently performed live in Las Vegas for 11 years straight.
But this is where it all began on television between 1976 and 1979.
Just over 40 Years Ago - Back when some of us thought being in your 50s was OLD

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX-HSqbVF1w

I know that some of the members on here remember television from a much different time.

A time before color TV Shows and everything was seen in only black and white.

A time before cable television using a set of rabbit ears antenna in our living rooms or if we were lucky, an outside antenna mounted on the roof.

A time when the channel tuner went from 2 - 13 only.

A time when all television stations would go off the air for the night and return back on in the morning hours.

A time when a major city like New York was limited to only a few TV channels. As I remember:
Channel 2 - WCBS
Channel 4 - WNBC
Channel 5 - WNEW
Channel 7 - WABC
Channel 9 - WJOR
Channel 11 - WPIX
(I hope I got those right)

A time when Televisions used small tubes that sometimes needed replacement and the nearest drugstore usually had a tube testing machine to use for testing them.

A time long before large flat screen TVs as we know them today.

The TV Shows were so different then. From weekly comedy series to weekly variety shows. The moms would like to watch their favorite soap operas while cooking the meals and doing the household chores. Families would gather around the televisions to enjoy evening shows together.

A time when Saturday morning TV was devoted to kids shows and cartoons.

Over the years I built up a large collection of these TV shows on DVD. In the comedy series I have seen some of them dozens of times, but they are still funny to laugh at.

It was such a different time then. Anybody who was around then would almost always agree. I guess some of us might also agree when it comes to music, as we see in so many of the Doo Wop music videos posted on that Doo Wop thread.

Recently one of the regular contributor's to this site sent me an email of this Special July 4, 1970 Varity show. Most of those in this video have all passed on. But during this time they were some of the most famous people on television. Remembering that watching television was probably Americas most popular past time then.

This video is a July 4, 1970 John Wayne Varity Show Celebrating Americas History. It includes some of Americas Most Famous actors and singers from that time. (Thank you MM)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFv-fqQ9D_Y
Don't forget 13 PBS

Don't forget 13 PBS
I remember when 13 was WABT, the local New York ABC station.

CBS: WCBS, Channel 2

NBC: WNBC, Channel 4

DuMont: WABD, Channel 5

Independent: WOR, Channel 9

Independent: WPIX, Channel 11

ABC(in New Jersey), WABT, Channel 13 (ABC later became WABC, Channel 7)

mack

Administrator
Looks like the history of Channel 13 has been:

1948 WATV
1958 WNTA
1962 WNDT
1970 WNET

Also another NYC TV channel:

Channel 31:

1961 WUHF
1962 WNYC
1996 WBIS