The MERV's

Is there 1 in each borough?
Are they numbered like the Rescues (1 Manhattan, 2 etc...)
Was unable to find that info, thanks.

Yes, I believe there is now one MERV in each Boro.
                 Merv 1 - Manhattan
                 Merv 2 - Bronx
                 Merv 3 - Brooklyn
                 Merv 4 - Queens
                 Merv 5 - S.I.
See page 2 of EMS for more info

rdm258 said:

the merv in manhattan is the only one that is actually staffed full time 24/7 the rest or just cross staffed.

anesti said:
rdm258 said:

i believe the merv in manhattan is the only one that is actually staffed full time 24/7 the rest or just cross staffed. But that might have changed recently.

I Cannot find pictures from the inside.
Does someone have them?

What exactly is in a MERV(X rays, meds, surgical equipment, etc) that makes them a mobile ER? Also what does the Mobile respiratory unit carry, is it just a ton of O2 or do they have a decompression chamber, cyanide antidotes? Sorry if you are tired of asking these qustions

The MERV is known as Major Emergency Response Vehicle. Used to be a Mobile ER Vehicle when it was part of the pre-merger EMS, was usually staffed by a MD, where the vehicle was kept.(Queens General,Kings County,Bellevue ER,...) Today manned by 1 EMT. Can treat 8 to 10 laying down pt's and an additional 10 sitting. No DIAGNOSTIC equipment. Just lots of BLS supplies/splints,etc...

The MRTU was not in use when I was in EMS. From what I understand, it is staffed by 1 EMT and repsonds to fires,10-60's,etc... Has several M O2 Tanks, plus lots of "spider ports", they are o2 outlets that can treat up to 4 patients at a time. Lots of monitoring equipment,NRB's,N/C's,etc...
Hope helps.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
I thought there was a port at every seat in the MRTU

They do also. My bad, forgot. The spider is kept in a green box and its connected when needed.

HCO

The MRTU has seats for 32 persons with an oxygen outlet at each seat.  There are additional oxygen ports on the outside of the vehicle.