The truckless triangle

E222/L112 - Nov. 10, 1976-Dec 1976, Nov. 11, 2002-Dec. 4, 2007
E230/Q3 - Jul. 8, 1966-Jul. 2, 1975, Jul. 19, 1975-May 1, 1976
E235/Q5 - Nov. 16, 1955-Jul. 8, 1966
E237/Q7 - Jul. 15, 1964
Note that the Squad Companies were manpower only, not what current squad companies are.

The truck less triangle was created when Ladder 108 moved from Siegel street to union Avenue in 1971. Most if not all of that area was 1rst due territory for 108

I am not from New York City but that area of Brooklyn seems to be very busy, not having a Ladder company in that area seems to be dangerous for the Citizens and also for the Firefighters. I am surprised that the Commissoner, or the Chief of Dept. who came up through the ranks over the years haven't pushed for a truck in that area. I was in a house with an Engine and a Truck until they dispanded the Truck due to a Tax law called Prop 2 and a half. In the year that followed the City had seven deaths in the still area of the truck that was out of service. The Somerville Mass. Fire Dept. also lost two Engines to that supposedly tax cut. I can't imagine how many lives could have been saved in that area of Brooklyn if there was a Truck assigned to that area.

The truck less triangle was created when Ladder 108 moved from Siegel street to union Avenue in 1971. Most if not all of that area was 1rst due territory for 108
A lot of it was 1st Due & some 2nd Due from Seigel St back then .....Box 779 Myrtle Ave & Broadway is the center of the Triangle & 108 is still 1st Due there from Union Ave......Myrtle & Broadway was also the reigning K2 Capital... https://thebridgebk.com/k2-corner-why-toxic-drug-thrives-brooklyn/

A lot of it was 1st Due & some 2nd Due from Seigel St back then .....Box 779 Myrtle Ave & Broadway is the center of the Triangle & 108 is still 1st Due there from Union Ave......Myrtle & Broadway was also the reigning K2 Capital... https://thebridgebk.com/k2-corner-why-toxic-drug-thrives-brooklyn/
the elevated tracks over broadway in conjunction with the myrtle ave elevated tracks (which cross perpindicular) creates a strange darkness at that intersection even during daytime hours.

Last edited:
J.W. a great LT (& later CPT) of mine in 108 grew up right in the neighborhood.....his Brother owned the Bar on Broadway right off Myrtle....the outside front of the Bar was used in the scene in the movie The French Connection where Popeye Doyle roust's the dealers for info....in the same movie the foot chase scene thru the vacant lots was filmed on the site that had been demolished / burned down to build Woodhull Hospital......J.W. as a youngster with his Family had moved to several different apartments in the area.... often a phone alarm would come in & he would know the address & on the way shout out the bldg occupancy ..height...apt layout etc. ......before becoming a LT & CPT in 108 he had been a LT in 230......on a sad note... one day tour around '69 or '70 (w/JW as our Officer ) around lunchtime we were returning from a Run & we got directed to an address which was his Parents then home....his Mom was on the stoop waving us in....his Dad was on the kitchen floor in cardiac arrest....we performed CPR until BN*35 arrived with their Emerson Resuscitator ......we continued to work on him but he could not be brought back.

Last edited:
Also right in the Myrtle Ave & Broadway area right by JW's Brothers Bar was the 1973 John & Al's Sporting Goods 3 day hostage siege...... John & Al's Sporting Good's (Broadway near Stockton St.) a big part of NYPD & FDNY History) in '73 when the 3 day siege of John & Al's Sporting Goods took place RIP ESU Officer Stephen Gilroy Truck 8. https://www.odmp.org/officer/5472-police-officer-stephen-r-gilroy ......also see .... http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/a-1973-hostage-situation-revisited/?_r=0...We (108) were 1st Due Truck & had been at the scene on & off during the standoff (constant FD presence from start to finish & on Sat night the Superpumper & Satellites responded & set up at either end of the block of 3 sty attached frame bldgs so in the event a Fire started & could not be attacked conventionally due to the shooters it would not jump the block ) & on a Sunday when when it was resolved thru a surrender the perps initially were brought to the 90 Precint next door to our FH on Union Ave. that afternoon but secreted out a back door to another location but the perp supporters did not know this & by 1800 the change of our tours we were imprisoned in the FH & Rigs were out of service & no FFs could enter or leave the block as a large unruly crowd filled Union Av jumping on cars & chanting "free the brothers" this went on until about 2000 when sufficient PD reinforcements were readied & dispersed the crowd restoring order to the area however several of our cars were damaged ..... http://www.villagevoice.com/news/brooklyn-1973-gunmen-hostages-and-the-revolution-6682991

Last edited:
I am not from New York City but that area of Brooklyn seems to be very busy, not having a Ladder company in that area seems to be dangerous for the Citizens and also for the Firefighters. I am surprised that the Commissoner, or the Chief of Dept. who came up through the ranks over the years haven't pushed for a truck in that area. I was in a house with an Engine and a Truck until they dispanded the Truck due to a Tax law called Prop 2 and a half. In the year that followed the City had seven deaths in the still area of the truck that was out of service. The Somerville Mass. Fire Dept. also lost two Engines to that supposedly tax cut. I can't imagine how many lives could have been saved in that area of Brooklyn if there was a Truck assigned to that areaIve
I’ve said this before ,and I say it again …. worked in that area for years , it’s a very engine heavy area , many single engine companies from the late 1800’s …..the hose drawn days...the BFD DAYS. When single engine companies where placed very close to each other. Lets say a horse drawn engines can only run full speed for say , 15 blocks. (I’m guessing here , don’t really know the answer to that ). So firehouse especially engine where placed very close to each other. So , say an engine every 10 blocks or so. That’s also why there are so many single engine companies in norther Brooklyn & lower Manhattan . There are about 4 or 5 trucks with very respectable response time into the “The triangle” …under 5 mins. 108 , 124 , 102, 111 , 112. all very close. There are truck companies in eastern Queens and Staten Island with response time over 8 + min to first due boxes...second due even way longer. In “The Triangle“ its not uncommon for the first and second due trucks to arrive just seconds apart… both under 5 mins.

Last edited: