The Usual

I just finished the above titled book, by John Finucane.  It outlines pretty much his career in Engine 85 and then Ladder 59 during the War Years.  It's a great read, and I highly recommend it to any parties interested in this ERA of firefighting.  I passed the book to my 10 year old, whose also enjoying it.  Ironically, that's how old I was when I first attempted to read (comprehend) Report from Engine Co 82.

Nice, I was just wondering what to read after I finish Report From Engine Co. 82, looks like the next thing to add to my large collection of FDNY books.

There was a book written by a FF assigned to a company in Harlem. I forget the title and I am a little hazy on the author but I beleive it was Ahearn. My apologies if I am wrong. Every review I ever saw was very high on it. ;D

M

mmattyphoto

Yes it is Ahearn and he was from E58 in Harlem. He wrote more than one book. I also read 'When the Bronx Burned' it was excellent. If I am not mistaken he has another book out.

The book by Harry Ahearn (Lt.) is about his time in Eng 58, which along with Ladder 26 comprises The Fire Factory, in Harlem

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Finucane at a fire expo last year and had him sign his first book I bought. If the book is anything like the stories he told me in person, it will deffinatly be a great read. It's on my X-mas list.

Looking forward to reading it myself. Perused a copy one of my guys had at work the other night.

Hi

Firefighter from the London fire brigade in the Uk, just joined NYCfire.net.

Ref the books, i have all of Harry ahearns books, the first book was titled 'THE FIRE FACTORY' a novel based on his own experiences, of this busy Harlem firehouse in the war years, a fantastic book, i still have my copy which i have had for about 20 years, and read it about as many times. In the book,  a firefighter is killed while performing a rope rescue, an incident which i believe actually happened and was very political at the time.

I have all his others, which in effect trace the history of E58 from its inception all the way to modern times, all of his books are novels, based on his own experience.

I was under the impression that the two books, 'When the bronx burned' and 'The usual' were from the same author, i know they are books based at the same firehouse, i might be wrong but thats the impression i got.

regards

jed

M

mmattyphoto

London, Ahearn's books are from E58 in Manhattan. Lt. Finucane's books are about the South Bronx.

mmattyphoto said:
London, Ahearn's books are from E58 in Manhattan. Lt. Finucane's books are about the South Bronx.

yeh i was aware of that, dont have LT Finucanes books, but i hear they are a good read.

what i was saying was i thought  that the two books 'When The Bronx Burned' and 'The usual' were by the same author Lt Finucane, and both books were from the same firehouse.

LFG,

The (2) books published by John Finucane, are primarily about Engine 85 and Ladder 59, which worked alongside Engine 82 and Ladder 31 in the South Bronx during the late 60's and early 70's

cheers bros i will pick a copy of each book up and enjoy both. Boston has had a few books written about it, and i have been informed, while over in NYC for the tunnell to towers run, that the fire dept with the closest links and bonds with the FDNY is Boston.

jarrod