The Very Talented "guitarman314"

For those who are not aware, site member "guitarman314" (aka G-man) has some very special talents. A few weeks ago, a few of us stopped by his house while we were planning the Get Together for October (2013). G-man has a very special talent in that he builds model fire trucks from scratch. He has thousands of pieces that he works with in his basement in Staten Island. The models he has built is amazing. Right to exact detail.

I took a picture of him standing near his workshop. It is unbelieveable the talent this man has.

He also plays lead guitar for many of the 60s and 70s Rock and Roll, and Doo Wop Groups. And he is a grandfather and a retired U.S. Postal Supervisor. He has a memory for the FDNY like I have never seen. He really is very talented and I think those that know him would also agree.

I have asked site member "fdny1075k" to post his picture on here for me. Another good guy who understands the limitations of my computer skills. Thanks Emmett.

fdny1075k said:
Here's a picture of "guitarman314" in his workshop, courtesy of "Willy D". Incredible work!

There's the handsome young man that builds those models.

(All right guys, I know, he's really not so young, BUT he does do a great job with building those models).

And thanks "fdny1075k" for your help, AGAIN.

G MAN...First off..... Thank You for all the good & factual FDNY history you post....(I see your LAD*120 '63 Seagrave model on e bay has been sold)....i am sure you have seen pictures of 120's Rig in B'ville that have been posted on here & other sites...they did remove the doors for faster turnouts...when they got their next Rig a '68 ALF Tiller they initially  removed the doors but the Job balked since it was a closed cab & made them put them back on.....not nit picking or second guessing your info but adding to it ....in the rundown on the E bay site regarding '63 Seagraves 40's was destroyed in a collapse (along w/an ENG ...35 or 36 ? )....43's overturned trying to bridge the East River Drive to stretch a line to a pier Fire at 106 St....175's was originally 108's....i do not think 126 ever had one.....126  had a '56 ALF for almost 19 years before getting a '74 Seagrave Rear Mount.....Thanks again for all you do.   

68jk09 said:
G MAN...First off..... Thank You for all the good & factual FDNY history you post....(I see your LAD*120 '63 Seagrave model on e bay has been sold)....i am sure you have seen pictures of 120's Rig in B'ville that have been posted on here & other sites...they did remove the doors for faster turnouts...when they got their next Rig a '68 ALF Tiller they initially  removed the doors but the Job balked since it was a closed cab & made them put them back on.....not nit picking or second guessing your info but adding to it ....in the rundown on the E bay site regarding '63 Seagraves 40's was destroyed in a collapse (along w/an ENG ...35 or 36 ? )....43's overturned trying to bridge the East River Drive to stretch a line to a pier Fire at 106 St....175's was originally 108's....i do not think 126 ever had one.....126  had a '56 ALF for almost 19 years before getting a '74 Seagrave Rear Mount.....Thanks again for all you do. 
  Yes Chief, I mistakenly typed 126, they had a 1953 ALF. Ladder 43's rig was repaired, Ladder 40's was disposed of and it was a '62 International pumper that was crushed so it was probably E35 as E36 kept their Mack C for many years. The other Harlem Internationals were 58, 59, 69 & 91. ;)

The pumper that was crushed along with 40 Truck was 91's. They got one of the '65 Mack diesels to replace it. Engines 35 & 53 also had the Internationals.

fdny1075k said:
Here's a picture of "guitarman314" in his workshop, courtesy of "Willy D". Incredible work!

Recently a few model fire trucks have been posted on E-bay as mentioned on another thread.

There might be some newer members on here that are not aware of our own very talented "G-man", aka Tom E., who also builds model fire trucks from scratch. His stock of parts in his basement includes some pieces that are so small, they might be hard for some of our more senior members to even see, let alone use in the building of any model toy fire truck.

I guess the best way to say it is; "you have to see his work to believe it". Amazing to say the least. Truly a very talented and gifted individual. I also know that there are a few members on here who have some of those models that he has built.

Bill.. I second that, G-man is an outstanding craftsman. His workmanship on these models is unbelievable.

I agree.  I've provided the G-Man with some of the raw materials he has used (an old Franklin Mint Seagrave TDA with missing pieces, among other stuff), and what he has done with them is simply mind boggling,  I'm not sure about the Fenders, Gibsons and Ibanezes mounted on the side of the rig, though.  8) ::) 8)  He is truly a man of many talents.

You're too modest, Tom.  But looking at your pictures (and particularly page 7, the Maxim pumper) raised a question in my mind:  did FDNY ever have a Maxim?  I don't think so, but I don't know.  Anybody?

mack

Administrator
Tom - Terrific work.  You are so talented!  What great models.

A real craftsman & a gentleman....excellent models as well as an excellent photo presentation....i especially like the SQ*41 original lime Mack capturing so many custom details of this Rig.....a question on one of the shots showing ENG*73 & ENG*236 side by side w/lime Macks...if i remember correctly these are the same Rig's...236 had it first then 73 gave up their ALF & got 236's Mack ....i would imagine that someone on here that follows registration numbers can verify this....i know 73 got 236's but i am not sure if they had their own lime Mack before that.... i  just remember covering there as a LT & they were working to get a Mack & 236's became available. 

68jk09 said:
A real craftsman & a gentleman....excellent models as well as an excellent photo presentation....i especially like the SQ*41 original lime Mack capturing so many custom details of this Rig.....a question on one of the shots showing ENG*73 & ENG*236 side by side w/lime Macks...if i remember correctly these are the same Rig's...236 had it first then 73 gave up their ALF & got 236's Mack ....i would imagine that someone on here that follows registration numbers can verify this....i know 73 got 236's but i am not sure if they had their own lime Mack before that.... i  just remember covering there as a LT & they were working to get a Mack & 236's became available.
  According to F.A.J. Mack CF book: Original ten 1981 Lime Macks went to Engines: 10, 41, 42, 45, 46, 58, 85, 94, 236 & 277. Only 3 were reassigned to other companies and they were: MP8105-E10 to E4; MP8106-E85 to E263 to Training School; MP8110-E236 to E73. Three were repainted White over Red, they were E45(MP8104), E10/E4(MP8105), E46(MP8108). ;)

i_Phone_Photos_54_1_001.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Tom.

In the above photo (please click on) we see an example of your talent in building custom made model fire trucks. This was back in the basement of your Staten Island home a few years ago. Of course now you reside in the Sunshine State of warm, sunny Florida.

You also became known as "guitarman" because of your talent playing background guitar for many of those very famous Great Doo Wop and Motown groups.

You buffed the South Bronx fire companies during their busiest FDNY War Years. As I remember while living near the very busy Engine 60 and Ladder 17.

You also worked in a Yonkers Post Office along with the well know, famous David Berkowictz, now as the "44 caliber killer" in a time of terror he created in NYC.

You reached to a supervisor in the Post Office in the Bronx at Grand Concourse and 161 St (?).

Tom, Happy Birthday and as we see, you have earned yourself quite an impressive resume over the years.

Best wishes for many Happy and Healthy Years to come.

Uncle Willy D