TL 33 Past Rigs

Following is a scan from the 100 year Centennial book, showing a history of all rigs, which were used as L33.
l331.jpg

I have the complete book at home and scan more stuff from it, if someone is interested. Let me know!
I had the chance to be part of the 100 year anniversary incl. official part at the firehouse and party at a nice restaurant in the bronx. ;D

I would love to see the whole book, does it also include information about E75?

Looking at the pictures of TL33 on fdnytrucks.com, i can now see that both pictures are in fact both 75ft TL's, which makes more sense!!

Sorry for the mistake, i will pay more attention next time!!  :-\  ::)  ;D

JT

tidbit: The 1987 Mack TL (MT-8702) reassigned to 33-Truck in 2000 was formerly TL-41, Bronx............

tl4187.jpg

I can tell you where MT9107D is today! It is in service in PG County Maryland at The Bowie VFD Company 43. Tower 43 (Ex TL33) was rebuilt by Interstate Truck in Hagerstown MD back in 2002-2003. The body was completely rehabbed, Aerial Hydraulics rebuilt, Motor and Trans upgrade and a "New" CF crate cab added.

http://bowiefire.org/apparatus.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page...you can't miss it!

Also...the Pierce Dash 95' Tower above it is Ex TL153. This was a total new vehicle. The boom, jacks, stabilizers, turntable structure from the old TL 153 were all custom fitted by Pierce Mfg. Bowie bought 3 old towers from a scrap yard in Middletown, NY. They were TL33, TL153 and TL107. 33 was rebuilt as a Mack CF, 153 was retrofitted on a new vehicle and 107 was used for parts. 107's chassis was sold to a FD in Canada who made a tanker out of it.

Lionheart said:
Following is a scan from the 100 year Centennial book, showing a history of all rigs, which were used as L33.
l331.jpg

I have the complete book at home and scan more stuff from it, if someone is interested. Let me know!
I had the chance to be part of the 100 year anniversary incl. official part at the firehouse and party at a nice restaurant in the bronx. ;D

Nice shot of the rig when it was in 'the cage'. What a pain in the a$$ that was ... trying to get into our first due boxes going toward 59 Truck while aimed in the wrong direction ...

From what i have seen here, and after finding and watching the firescene episode on 'The Animal House' from 1992, what a fantastic company this is, from a very proud house steeped in history and fires, along with thier stablemate E75 and Batt19. Having watched the episode on The Animal House, I love the Batt Cheifs Aid,Mario L Cassini, what a fantastic character and naturally funny guy, kind of reminded me of the Character 'Doc' from Back To The Future films!!

With E75 in mind, they operated thier ALF in the film, did they keep this rig from when they got it in 1983 until they got the Seagrave in the early 90's, its one looking piece.

It says in the film about the house been one of the busiest in the world, has the demographics of the area changed much, pr is it still pretty much the same area with same character?

I notice that the runs and workers for E75/TL33 has not changed much, give or take a couple of runs a day, now from when it was in 1992 when the film was made. Still a hectic house.

JT

That area is my old neighborhood. In 1970 it was a beautiful area. By 1975 it was shot. It is an area comprised of mostly "new law" tenements. In other words they are the larger H type 5 and 6 story brick apartment bldgs. When the "old law" tenements of the more traditional "South Bronx" burned in the late 60's and early 70's or railroad flats which were smaller 10-20 apt bldgs they were demolished and when renewal came, replaced with single family private homes. Less population and the owner has an interest in the community. In 75/33's area, after the arson of the mid to late 70's, the large apt bldgs stood vacant until renewal came and these bldgs were rebuilt. This area is very densly populated and ravaged by drugs and crime. Hence the large workload remains. The Grand Concourse was known as "the Fifth Ave" of the Bronx and University Ave was "the Park Ave" of the Bronx. Not anymore.

I once heard a story that when 33 received their totally enclosed 1991 mack tower ladder that they used their hurst tool to remove the roof. I believe there is a picture on here of it where you can see that from the side it appears to be an enclosed cab, but the top of the roof is missing.

kidfrmqns said:
I once heard a story that when 33 received their totally enclosed 1991 mack tower ladder that they used their hurst tool to remove the roof. I believe there is a picture on here of it where you can see that from the side it appears to be an enclosed cab, but the top of the roof is missing.

Going back to fdnytrucks.com, 8th picture down, of the Mack 95ft enclosed cab TL, you can clearly see daylight coming into the cab where there should be a roof.. ;D :D

If I remember correctly the opening was actually a removeable part of cab for service of engine parts. The radiator had to be removed from the top if a repair or replacement was needed. Many trucks simply removed this panel to allow heat to escape out of cab. No hurst tool needed, i think some companies aslo fashioned a tarp to prevent rain from entering.

Great photo londonfireguy!! The back & forth semantics about the photo at that site were childish but, thanks for the picture !!!

vbcapt said:
Great photo londonfireguy!! The back & forth semantics about the photo at that site were childish but, thanks for the picture !!!

I literally found it on a google search of fdny engine 75. I admit some of the comments on the thread are a bit pathetic, but i couldnt post the pic without the accompanying thread, i did try!!

"69Mets" mentioned about the cage. Oh yes, I remember that. If I remember correct, the cage even had a roof on it of page fencing apparently so the neighborhood "Little Angels" couldn't jump down on it from the overhead subway. I also think that Ladder 33 was the very first one to have the honor of having that outside designated parking spot. After that I think Ladder 27 got to use the cage, and I think Ladder 59 also. But as I remember, "The Animal House" was the very First to use the "New Animal Cage" for its Animal Truck. (TL 33).
  And it was "fdce54" that mentioned what a nice neighborhood that Eng 75 and Lad 33 was around 1970. I think there was mention of that in "My Younger Buff Years" where my friend wanted to get out of the South Bronx area near Eng 82s. So we parked across from the old 75/33 qtrs on 183rd St at Jerome. Yes, that was around the time that "fdce54" is talking about. They NEVER made a run while their Brothers farther to the South East were going crazy. But again as "fdce54" says, what a difference just five years made. And now to this day, it still remains a very active area, with plenty of fire activity.

Due to the city neglecting to provide us with a heated cage, the canman was required to bring the can inside quarters after every run to prevent it from freezing. As I remember, we had a very 'salty' looking can back in those days due to lot's of use (as did all of the surrounding Truck Co's) LOL ... I think 59 might still have the cage across from quarters ... I believe they park a shops emergency crew truck in it.