TL53 2001 Spartan

I saw the 2001 Spartan rig that was assigned to TL53 sitting at Brookfield Salvage in Elmsford awaiting the cutter's torch. This rig was in front line service just a few months ago. What got it to the junk yard so quickly? I would have thought it would go to auction and be bought by some dept. Is her back broken? She couldn't have seen too much abuse on City Island.

The FDNY most probably did not want to deal w/a one of a kind Rig as far as parts & repair procedures etc but it is a shame that it was not auctioned off or even donated to a needy Dept. who may have gotten some use out of it.....if it was donated to the FDNY after 9-11 maybe they did not feel there was much invested in it but i am sure some Dept would want it . 

BCR

That is such a shame, a smaller dept probaly could have gotten 10-20 years outta that rig, correct me if I'm wrong but the boom is originally from a 1973?? Fdny Mack tower ladder, bought by a dept complete refurb mounted on a brand new 2001 spartan chassis and donated after 9/11 when it was completed, nfd2004 I bileave your correct about where it started, then it was moved to city island to help reduce maintenance down time cost etc.. I couldn't imagine it had to many miles/hours on it as I thought it was put on city island pretty quick. Gotta love the fdny trying to be uniform with the rigs. Just an FYI for ya, the two collapse rescues that are the spartan chassis Are the same chassis as this tower ladder just a few years newer, I think the model is called the gladiator. I'm sure it could have been a much needed spare, or if you want to keep maintenance down put it at the rock for training or heck make it a ready reserve truck 7xx. Wouldn't be a terrible idea to have it on govenors island last I pictures I saw it looked like the reserve trucks out there were 1989-1990 era seagraves.

I don't  remember this rig being in this bad of shape or banged up at all ???? Did they have an accident ?

fdnycand89 said:
I don't  remember this rig being in this bad of shape or banged up at all ???? Did they have an accident ?
That damage is probably from being towed.

I saw the rig about 3 months ago or so in a FDNY staging area near the shops and the front end was all caved in. It looked like it hit somethng on the officers side.

Poor Rig, I Dont Remember It Much When It Was At TL105 because i was far to young, but i do remember it being at Ladder 53. The Really couldve fixed it and sold it. Why couldn't the FDNY do that?

BCR

Does anyone rember who donated it??? I thought this one came from a dept that instead of taking delivery sent it to fdny as a donation, I wonder if they offered it back to who donated it, if they were disposing of it the way they did I would think it would be the right thing to do, I mean who would pass on a working Arialscope??

I dont think that was donated. FDNY purchaed 2 of them. One was disposed of a long time ago and this one was put OOS due to parts issues.

Jack's FDNY apparatus book from 2005 only shows one rig being purchased, Mike's FDNYtrucks.com shows the rig being a combination of booms and chassis.

Chief321 said:
I dont think that was donated. FDNY purchaed 2 of them. One was disposed of a long time ago and this one was put OOS due to parts issues.

I don't remember two of these rigs. The reason I say that is I would usually like to get a rig shot of the different types of apparatus in service for the FDNY. And I only remember Ladder 105 as having that type of rig. Then it went to Ladder 53.

I also think that Ladder was in service BEFORE 9/11. And I don't think that rig was donated, but purchased by the FDNY.

A pair of Stuphen rigs were purchased at one time for TLs 14 and 119. Later a pair of ALFs for TLs 14 and 163.

Sutphen rigs: 1980 ST 8001D L14. 1981 ST8101D L 119. Both were 1250 GPM rigs and were 100'. Alf rigs were 100' and 1500 GPM. They were LT8401D to L14 and LT8402D to L163.

grumpy grizzly said:
Sutphen rigs: 1980 ST 8001D L14. 1981 ST8101D L 119. Both were 1250 GPM rigs and were 100'. Alf rigs were 100' and 1500 GPM. They were LT8401D to L14 and LT8402D to L163.

That sounds right to me "Griz". But I think that Spartan was a one of a kind for the FDNY.

baileyjeff said:
Anyone tell me where this truck is, maybe it can be saved.
Brookfield Metal; 100 Lamont St, Elmsford, NY 10523. That is if it hasn't been cut up yet.

baileyjeff said:

Save what?  Why does anyone care about this rig.  If it was worth saving or auctioning, the FDNY would have done it.  They didn't, it's worth scrap.

JohnnyBopp said:
baileyjeff said:

Save what?  Why does anyone care about this rig.  If it was worth saving or auctioning, the FDNY would have done it.  They didn't, it's worth scrap.

Even if the boom had been refurbished at one time to Aerialscope II specs, it's still a 40 yea told boom. I agree with the above statement.