tower vs rearmount

is there any way they decide whether to assign a tower or rear mount to a company? and what are the advantages and dis advantages to each type of truck?

Bulldog

Bulldog
mercurygrandmarquis1 said:
is there any way they decide whether to assign a tower or rear mount to a company? and what are the advantages and dis advantages to each type of truck?
Other than basic truck company work like access, ventilation and search the actual use of the piece of equipment is very different.  Tower ladders are basically used for "surround and drown" operations at major fires.  Rearmounts are basically used for access and egress of people from the building, FDNY ladder trucks are not even equipped with ladderpipes so they're not used for water application.  As far as dispatch goes first alarm ladder companies are just dispatched according to which units are closest.  Subsequent to that the chief officer at the scene requests that type of units he needs for that fire.

Bulldog,

Sorry, my friend, but I have to disagree with you regarding the Tower Ladder and "surround and drown" While you often see pictures of TL's being used for exterior operations (i.e. glorified water towers), most FDNY TL companies use the rig as a very aggressive offensive tool. Exterior ventilation, exterior victim removal, search and rescue, a platform for VES, etc.

FDNY has led the way in using the tower as so much more than a defensive piece of equipment.

Rearmounts have the advantage of being able to set up quickly, provide fast exterior ventilation (window breaking), longer reach and, if necessary, get the roofman into position faster and with less stress to him.

Take care and stay safe,

1261truckie (aka Jim)

turk132 said:
Aerial ladders do have ladder pipes.
Thanks Turk132, I thought they still had ladderpipes on rearmounts and I don't remember NOT seeing a ladderpipe nozzle on any FDNY rearmount. 8)

I have seen a FDNY ladder pipe in operation within the past ten years. It was used at a church fire in Manhattan. I think the photo made the cover of firehouse or Fire Engineering, not sure though. But there is a picture of it somewhere on the web.

bstan270 said:
I have seen a FDNY ladder pipe in operation within the past ten years. It was used at a church fire in Manhattan. I think the photo made the cover of firehouse or Fire Engineering, not sure though. But there is a picture of it somewhere on the web.
  Late 2001 at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine at W. 110 & Morningside Drive.

About 4 years ago they had a big junk yard fire on Bronx River Ave just past Westchester.  They used a ladder pipe on 48 Truck to knock down fire that was exposing to the 3 side of a few p/d's.  They also used one maybe 3 years ago at that big H type fire in the Rockaways. 

RMA's are not pre-piped. I will also agree with 1261 about aggressive use of Tower Ladders in an offensive stance. I have seen ladder pipes used at least three times in my career, two of which dillon mentioned. The junkyard in Hunts Point(2nd or a 3rd, I forget) in August 06, a brush fire in Howard Beach in 06, and at St. John the Divine(30 Truck!!!) in 01.

HCO

The last remaining first-line FDNY tractor drawn aerial with fixed waterway and ladder pipe is Ladder 34, a 2000 Seagrave.  There are four earlier similar TDAs assigned to Training and as spares.