Ugliest Rig Ever Built (Hijacked to Loftus Suction Collector)

memory master said:
raybrag said:
Do you mean Key, Memory . . . or King Kullen?  One of my old girlfriend's father was the head butcher there in the mid to late 50's.
You are correct Ray, it was King Kullen. Well, I knew there was a "K" in it somewhere.

Murray Street and Northern Blvd.  Later taken over by a Korean Grocery

811 said:
The Loftus Collector is not that ancient, or dedicated for one specific use.  The WNYF article cited other examples, such as taking multiple feeds from tunnel standpipes, or from a number of buildings' standpipes (supplied by their roof tanks).

A friend assigned to the Super Pumper System remembers at least one of the Satellites carried a Loftus Collector into the 1970s.  The photo above with Engine 53 (I think it was one of 10 1963 International/H&H pumpers - g'man should be able to confirm this) shows multiple lines supplying Large Diameter Hose - LDH through a Collector.
  Yes, that was E53's 1963 International pumper. Those 10 rigs were an experiment to see how well commercial chassis apparatus would hold up in NYC. Four of the 10 would wind up getting destroyed: E283's rig was hit by a heavy truck on Linden Blvd., E91's (and L40's 1963 Seagrave tiller) was crushed in a collapse on 116th St., E94's rig caught fire, and E294's rig caught fire inside quarters.  ;)