unified call taker

I would assume on the EMS side, they must be having the same problems, such as wrong locations, wrong patient info,etc..
Must also be adding to the death toll!  I hope not but if the Fire side is having the same problems, I guess all agencies are taking a hit.

Wrong address:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2009/11/18/2009-11-18_brooklyn_man_two_toddlers_killed_in_apartment_fire.html

:eek: Just heard on CBSTV News that the 911 system is to be modified with a Fire Dispatcher to be on the line: http://wcbstv.com/local/crown.heights.fire.2.1325320.html

Seven in the past month, but that also doesn't include some of the other UCT specials, as we call them with people in the water out in the Rockaways. Don't let this new program fool you. All we are going to be doing is listening in, and then jumping in if necessary.

Heard one today on the Brooklyn channel . . . units were dispatched for a "fire on a train" on one of the BMT lines.  A few minutes later, dispatcher advised units that they received a correction:  call was for a FIGHT on a train.  Are these UCT workers native English speakers?? ??? :mad: :'(

raybrag said:
Heard one today on the Brooklyn channel . . . units were dispatched for a "fire on a train" on one of the BMT lines.  A few minutes later, dispatcher advised units that they received a correction:  call was for a FIGHT on a train.  Are these UCT workers native English speakers?? ??? :mad: :'(
Yes, are they working here in NYC or out of India? ???

raybrag said:

Didn't you get the memo?  Rescue 1 does ESU police work now too!  ;D

One thing that nobody seems to have spoken about is how often do these same call takers give wrong or wildly innacurate information on PD jobs?  I know of one case several years ago where the job was given as a dispute on the street instead of what it was  - a 13.  I doubt if the cops suffer from this any less than the FD; actually, either way, it's the person calling for help from FD, PD or EMS who suffers the most.

The "fight" calls are not that uncommon. Many people in the general public canna speaka the good Englich.

Prior to UCT we were able to stop it before it went out. Now we can't.

M

mmattyphoto

can someone tell me when the clock actually starts? is when 911 gets the call or is when FDNY takes over??

From what i read it starts when the FD dispatchers get it, not from when PD gets it. So the UCT can be talking for like 10 minutes, and send it to the DD at the central office. Records will show about 4 minutes it took, but in reality, it is much longer.

Here's a hot one that happened today in our wonderful unified system. We have a Fire radio position & an EMS radio position. Apparently the person on the Fire radio left the console for a break or whatever, the EMS disptacher took over the Fire console. A Hazmat run came in and the EMS dispatcher announced the run over the EMS frequency and the FD never heard it. The bells went off for everyone with no voice.

Around 1830 this evening UCT sent Queens a "food on a stove". turned out to be a flood in the apartment.

M

mmattyphoto

Queens1985, thanks for the info. I wonder why the Unions have not said anything about  this, it should be in all the newspapers.