Use of the term "k" : A question

Joined
Apr 10, 2024
Messages
1
I started listening to FDNY in 1978. From then until the early 90s I heard it in use. I know what it is and why it was used.

Recently I have been listening to FDNY remotely as I dont live in NY any longer. I hardly ever hear the term these days.

May question is, was the usage stopped officially via a policy change or is it just a change in culture from the 70s?
Thank You
 
I started listening to FDNY in 1978. From then until the early 90s I heard it in use. I know what it is and why it was used.

Recently I have been listening to FDNY remotely as I dont live in NY any longer. I hardly ever hear the term these days.

May question is, was the usage stopped officially via a policy change or is it just a change in culture from the 70s?
Thank You
It's more then likely both a change within the culture but maybe also just upgrades to the radios

It is still commonly used but does become more common when the frequencies are experiencing difficulty (tropospheric ducting, etc)
 
"K" was used to signify the end of a radio transmission. In NYC it was used by both FD and PD.
The use of “K,” meaning “invitation to transmit” originated in the amateur radio community years ago, primarily for use in Morse code but later in voice transmissions. It does not appear in FCC amateur or public service rules but has been widely adopted by the military and many fire and police agencies.
 
Last edited:
I am not sure of the origin of the original use of K in a radio transmission early on in other circles however in the FDNY it basically was used to mean "i am finished transmitting & the line is clear for a reply if need be" .....it was not always used back when & really is not used today it seems. JMO ......actually i never used it.
 
Back
Top