Visiting NYC

Going to be in nyc next weekend and like to know if anyone can tell me what subway or bus i can take to the following houses.
Rescue 4
Squad 270
Rescue 5
Engine 165
Thanks.

To get to Rescue 5 by public transit, you can take the Staten Island Ferry (catch it from Whitehall Terminal in Lower Manhattan) - you can take the 1 or the R to the terminal I believe. I think it's the last stop on the 1 train to be honest. The ferry trip takes 25 mins to get to St. Geroge terminal in Staten Island. It is the northernmost tip of the island.  ("The Hot Corner" E155/L078 is only a short while from there if you want to stop by there too.) Anyway when you get off the ferry, look for signs for the Staten Island Railway or SIR. (Or any train sign really.) Its an above ground subway car style train run by the MTA just like the subway. You will have to pay $2.50 when you get off the ferry to get on the train. Once your on the train, you're gonna take it until the "Grasmere" stop. Get off, and from there make a left on Clove Road and walk until you reach the firehouse of E160/Rescue 5/Divison 8. It should be a 10 minute walk from the train. You can't miss it. To get to E165/TL85, you would do the same as before except stay on the train until the "New Dorp" station. Get off there, and that too is a short walk from the train - around 15 mins.

Hope this helped, enjoy your trip in NYC!

mack

Administrator
You have listed good companies but they are all over the city.  You will waste a lot of time just traveling between these firehouses.  If you want to visit R4, Squad 288 is much closer than Squad 270.  You could then head into Brooklyn instead of Staten Island.  If you have not been to NYC, it is very big and it takes a lot of time to travel between boros, either car or train or bus.

I suggest that if you have a place you are staying, go to the FDNY firehouse location map on this website and pick out 4 companies that are closer to each other.  If you do not have a car, pick companies that are easily accessible to public transportation. You may need to Google a NYC subway system map to pick out the firehouses. 

Plan your firehouse visits based upon your location, how far they are apart, and transportation available.

Enjoy NYC.

Listen to Mack, ff60 . . . he's spot on.  This from a guy who spent years fighting with the bus & subway system before I got fed up and left for greener pastures.  ;)

Ff60,

Amen to raybrag on Mack's advice. As a former Bronx/Manhattan boy who rode the subways to high school, I could not navigate your desired itinerary. (But then, those 3 digit companies still are beyond me.)

On the other hand, if you REALLY want to see the FDNY, you might want to consider the 2 borough's you overlooked.  ;D

Keep in mind. R4 is not at their quarters. It is still being worked on.

R4 is currently with E316 and E292 is with E259 L128 BN45