Volunteers

Just out of shear curiosity are current FDNY members allowed to volunteer with 1 of the 9 remaining volunteer organizations left in the city? I know they work hand in hand on occasion but I always wondered what the rule is for this or if there is even a rule? Again, just curious.

Can't speak to the volunteer units within the city limits, but I know there are a LOT of active and retired FDNY members who also serve as volunteers in the communities where they live . . . many on Long Island, Westchester, etc.

Both unions - UFA and UFOA clearly stand with the principle that no member should be volunteering in a city/district where there are paid firefighters.

Basically, you are taking away from the hiring of professional firefighters by volunteering.

Both unions feel that these fellow union members deserve to work with the proper staffing, and if supplemented with volunteers, that city/district will rely on the volunteers and not hire the proper amount of professional firefighters that are needed for that area.

So, there is no way that either union would approve of an FDNY member volunteering within the city.