"Walker-Style" Firehouses Gone

Appreciate the history. When I was young my father transferred into 54 when the house opened. I remember going there before 96 and 54 moved in so my dad could look around. I remember going a few times on payday so he could get his check and looking at all the numbers on the floor in chalk from one of the guys counting bells. I believe they had one of the first hose dryers on the job.
Now there’s two thoughts that could probably be expanded into their own topics ...”hose towers” and “going with your dad to pick up his check”. I bet there’s a lot of stories there.

Here’s a start ... you could always pick out a fire house from a cluster of buildings at a distance by the distinctive outline of the hose tower.

Last edited:
Now there’s two thoughts that could probably be expanded into their own topics ...”hose towers” and “going with your dad to pick up his check”. I bet there’s a lot of stories there.

Here’s a start ... you could always pick out a fire house from a cluster of buildings at a distance by the distinctive outline of the hose tower.
Or the American flag hanging from the 2nd story window.

Or the American flag hanging from the 2nd story window.
memory ....you must be reading my mind.....when i read 3511's post above about the Hose Tower i was going to add .... " the Tower could be seen in the distance but rounding the corner & looking down the block the American Flag on the front of the FH pinpointed it also". ......& of course if it was warm out & the apparatus doors were open as soon as you walked inside you sensed the dampness & smell of rubber.....& if it was a somewhat busy shop you also smelled the odor of smoke.