WILL FD/EMS BE ENCRYPTED THIS YEAR----PD ALREADY TESTING RADIOS

I don't see the point of encrypting FDNY freqs either. NYPD I can understand due to the current state of NYC. I sure anyone doing anything wrong isn't monitoring fireground audio. Nothing was encrypted during the War Years so I certainly don't believe it needs to be now. Criminals are concerned what PD is doing not FD. And I don't really believe many of them listen to PD freqs either. Most of the street crimes aren't done with elaborate planning.

REALLY IT IS PD THAT I WORRY ABOUT. REMEMBER THE PRESS WILL BE CUT OUT TOO. THIS IS COMMUNISM.

AGAIN I ASK.....................DO YOU WANT THE DESK SARGENT OF THE PRECINCT CONCERNED WITH A CRIME EVENT TO BE YOUR NEW 'CRACKER- JACK REPORTER'. NO ONE WILL HEAR AN INCIDENT FROM ITS INCEPTION. SOME BLANK-ITTY-BLANK RECORDING MIGHT BE RELEASED 5 YEARS AFTER YOU REQUEST A F.O.I.L.

Many decades ago I was "buffing the radio" when Fire Alarm transmitted a first alarm for a building fire. Sadly, in the pre-CAD era they transmitted the wrong box...732 rather than the correct 712. Since I knew the building and walked past both street boxes on the way to school, I instantly knew there was gonna be problems since the first alarm assignments were completely different except for the squad and chief. Confusion reigned since company officers were trying figure out why they were running to an address they knew the appropriate companies were available for. Fire Alarm operators did not realize what they had done.
I quickly dialed the old seven digit emergency number and told the PBX operator (who I knew was sitting right next to the radio man) what had occurred.
Silence....then a nervous laugh..."Oh, hey thanks" (Click)!

A big issue is citizen app putting out the audio for everyone to hear live. Now we all like hearing radio traffic and anyone can. But when you make it so easy for anyone to hear anything like citizen app giving them the alert of what’s going on at that point and time is the issue. Good reason it’s going to go encrypted sadly!

Maybe Citizen shouldn't be allowed to broadcast radio transmissions on the app. Just have it in one place like Broadcastify with no video. It won't be so interesting. I live in Middlesex CO and most of the local PD is encrypted. Its really not an issue here because the depts are small and encryption costs much less. I can no longer receive local PD broadcasts on my scanner. That's the way it goes but for fire there's very little need for it as the PD audio usually has more sensitive transmissions. When the NYPD encrypts I'm out of luck again but again it PD so I get it. In NY its illegal to have a scanner in the car because it can pick up freqs used by police. You can't receive fireground on the scanner anyway unless you're close enough.

dan

There have been several incidents over the last few years where buffs and members on the job have posted things in real time on social media sites, group me app and other places about injured members, maydays and other sensitive information on incidents and evolving incidents that were taken right off the feeds of the DARS channels. This creates confusion and chaos and stuff is public knowledge before the people who actually need to know have been notified. Like it or not people on and off the job ruined it and we live in changing times and operational security should be paramount.

Since there are no replies, let me give my thoughts.

1. We as taxpayers have a right to listen to the everyday calls, routine or otherwise.
2. PD's false narrative and specious arguments that we should not be able to hear negotiations between PD/FBI and some 'kidnappers' is correct, but we can not hear those now, because of encryption! Nor should we be able to eavesdrop on joint NYPD, State Police, FBI, CIA, Secret Service, Military Intelligence etc.-----these are already scrambled!! No, they want to cut us off from 'Shots Fired', robberies in progress, traffic accidents and fires etc. You know the stuff.
Just as an example fit for today's environment of the last two weeks--------Suppose those cops in the Floyd Choke Hold Case had made a racial remark on the radio either just before going into action or during the event itself and no civilian or Press person could hear it in real time. Do you really believe it would still be on the tape when it was given to the Press after the fact? They still argue 57 years after the Kennedy Assassination what was really on the dictabelt recording of the two Dallas police channels. Of course only modified FM radios could have heard anything back then but the news agencies might have had real equipment.

I will give my ideas for a solution to this problem later. Meanwhile any thoughts?................................................
Those community groups that are concerned with 'police misconduct' should bring this issue to the publics attention and argue that 'secret police radio transmissions' fly in the face of accountability and openness. I think that is a legit argument.

PD already has 30,000 of the radios and is intending to shut off the analog system, Radio Zone by Radio Zone this year. nCV19 only interrupted their plan, so we have a little more time. The Press will be cut out too under this plan.

Not sure if this topic already exists. If so remove, or just put up a link to the extant one. Thanks.

WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THIS?
FYI: Analog vs Digital has nothing to do with encryption. Both can be encrypted.

REALLY IT IS PD THAT I WORRY ABOUT. REMEMBER THE PRESS WILL BE CUT OUT TOO. THIS IS COMMUNISM.

AGAIN I ASK.....................DO YOU WANT THE DESK SARGENT OF THE PRECINCT CONCERNED WITH A CRIME EVENT TO BE YOUR NEW 'CRACKER- JACK REPORTER'. NO ONE WILL HEAR AN INCIDENT FROM ITS INCEPTION. SOME BLANK-ITTY-BLANK RECORDING MIGHT BE RELEASED 5 YEARS AFTER YOU REQUEST A F.O.I.L.
You may want to look up the definition of communism. It's much, much worse than encrypted radios!!

There have been several incidents over the last few years where buffs and members on the job have posted things in real time on social media sites, group me app and other places about injured members, maydays and other sensitive information on incidents and evolving incidents that were taken right off the feeds of the DARS channels. This creates confusion and chaos and stuff is public knowledge before the people who actually need to know have been notified. Like it or not people on and off the job ruined it and we live in changing times and operational security should be paramount.

“dan”, I think you put it very well.
It’s not just NYC but many other cities, towns, and counties as well

Last edited: