Yonkers, NY- Large Water Main Break 08-27-12

SaW mill and Cross county west closed. Engine 319 and Batt 3 activated. Millwood and Banksville M/A with Tankers.

truck4

Administrator
Date: 08-27-12
Time: 1230hrs
Description: Contractor struck a 30-inch water main resulting in loss of pressure and volume to a large area of southwest Yonkers. Sections of northwest Yonkers have low water pressure. Main runs from Hillview to the west side.

1300hrs- WCPD closing the southbound Saw Mill Parkway at the Cross County Parkway due to road flooding.

1500hrs- E-303, B-1 operating at St. Joseph's Medical Center establishing a non-drinking water supply for the hospital. Reserve tanker going into service. Recalling manpower to staff reserve engines.

1505hrs- Full assignment for a structure fire on Vincent Road. Sq-11 rptd smoke showing from the roof, but turned out to be condensation from rain water.

1530hrs- Additional B/C recalled and going I/S.

1600hrs- M/A Tankers from Millwood and Banskville into the city. Reserve Engine (319) going I/S. Westchester County and private contracting companies also sending commercial water tankers.

1900hrs- YFD in communication with FDNY and other surrounding communities for resources.

1950hrs- E-308 out at 1 Glenwood investigating a water pressure condition in the high rise.

2100hrs- City is reporting that repairs may take an additional 24-48 hours.

2107hrs- News truck took down overhead wires I/F/O 214 Buena Vista Ave. reserve E-302 assigned, reported to be cable wires.

2300hrs- Co's pumping water from NYC into Yonkers at the city line on Riverdale Ave to boost pressure at 537 Riverdale Ave, a senior living complex. 

truck4

Administrator
From Lohud Article:

"...in addition to stationing water tankers around southwestern Yonkers, the department also has a fireboat on standby that can pump more than 2,000 gallons per minute from the river. The New York City Fire Department also has offered to deploy its fireboats to Yonkers if necessary."

truck4

Administrator
According to the YFD, a mutual aid plan was set up yesterday in case of a fire in the affected area. A task force (3 Engines, 1 Satellite) would stage at E-81/L-46 for deployment into Yonkers. If the job was near the Bronx line, FDNY units would bring water over the border. FDNY also approved the use of a Marine Company if necessary. The YFD is currently staffing thier fireboat during the emergency. Full assignments in the affected area will include at least (5) engines on the initial.

truck4

Administrator
2100hrs- Work on the main to continue. Conditions will remain unchanged into tomorrow.

Are these tankers still in Yonkers? MetroNorth has these rail tankers in Yonkers. I heard 6 of them.