Your FAVORITE classic NYC firehouse?

Here's a pretty open-ended question - and I'm certain there are many different opinions out there.  I'm looking for some fun feedback.

Q: What's your FAVORITE classic NYC firehouse?

Many houses throughout the 5 boroughs have some beautiful architecture and really draw one back to the old days with a very classic feel.  From what I've seen - my favorites are (by borough):

1) MANHATTAN - 33 Engine / 9 Truck
2) BROOKLYN - Squad 252 or Rescue 2
3) BRONX - 82 Engine / 31 Truck
4) QUEENS - 258 Engine / 115 Truck
5) STATEN ISLAND - 79 Truck / Battalion 22

There's a survey that was done on this site by one of the fellas concerning favorite firehouses. Don't remember where it is.

vbcapt said:
There's a survey that was done on this site by one of the fellas concerning favorite firehouses. Don't remember where it is.

OK, I looked but didn't see anything similar in the archives.  :D

Your pick for Manhattan was a great one, in my opinion. I was told it used to be the Chief of Department's quarters years ago.
You may already know this but:
That house took a major hit on 9/11, including;
Lt. Jeff Walz from Ladder 9 who lived in my fire district, although I never met him.
Battalion Chief Pfeifer, first due at The World Trade Center on 9/11, lost his Brother, Lt. Kevin Pfeifer from Engine 33.
All together I think the house lost 10 Brothers that day, may they continue to Rest in Peace, and I mention these Brothers out of total respect.
I cannot look at, or think of a firehouse without remembering the Brothers who rode out of it on 9/11 and didn't return.

recentlyupdated14.jpg

Capnkeys said:
Your pick for Manhattan was a great one, in my opinion. I was told it used to be the Chief of Department's quarters years ago.
You may already know this but:
That house took a major hit on 9/11, including;
Lt. Jeff Walz from Ladder 9 who lived in my fire district, although I never met him.
Battalion Chief Pfeifer, first due at The World Trade Center on 9/11, lost his Brother, Lt. Kevin Pfeifer from Engine 33.
All together I think the house lost 10 Brothers that day, may they continue to Rest in Peace, and I mention these Brothers out of total respect.
I cannot look at, or think of a firehouse without remembering the Brothers who rode out of it on 9/11 and didn't return.

Well said.  I'm certain that these classic houses have many stories to tell, on top of all the past members who have served the city (and those lost on 9/11).

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
To answer your question, it depends upon what a person really likes. I think the most outstanding fire station built in NYC has to be the former quarters of Engine 31 on Lafayette St. How about the former quarters of Engine 10 & Ladder 15. 

Maybe what we have to look at is the time period when the station was constructed. In Bklyn, the former Bklyn Fire Dept stations are in a class all by themselves.

1) MANHATTAN - E33/TL 9 or E93/TL45/BC13
2) BROOKLYN - Engine 253 or E284/TL149/Satellite3
3) BRONX - 64 Engine/47 Truck
4) QUEENS - E258/TL115 but the Jamaica "Big House" is my all-time favorite by far.
5) STATEN ISLAND - TL79/Batt22

Manhattan - Former Quarter of E-15 (Henry St). Such history there
Brooklyn - 271/124. First firehouse I was in as a child
Queens - 305/151
Bronx - 73/42. Heard stories of what a wild place this was in the war years
S.I. - 79

manhattan  would be Ladder 8
Brooklyn Rescue 2
bronx would be the old house of E93 TL ? and Rescue 3
staten Island E160/Rescue 5
Queens E290/Rescue 4

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
If you want something interesting - Eng 71 old fire house, today's EMS Station 55, there was a side door for the deputy to use years ago. Res 3, Lad 55, Batt 26, & even the Fire Marshals used the facility.
How about a sleeper - Eng 94 - Lad 48 - Batt 3,
In Queens, look at Eng 268 & L-137. The 'Rockaway Big House' is sister stations to Eng 91 & also Eng 93 Quarters.

E33 & TL9....It was always said in the Firehouse,  they had the TALLEST POLES in any FDNY Firehouse...Don't know the exact height but from the 3rd floor to the bunkroom it was some drop.

yocap said:
E33 & TL9....It was always said in the Firehouse,  they had the TALLEST POLES in any FDNY Firehouse...Don't know the exact height but from the 3rd floor to the bunkroom it was some drop.

Yes - from the street it looks like a pretty tall firehouse.  That balcony on the front is absolutely beautiful though.  A real architectural marvel.  Plus the cobblestone street just enhances the historic charm.

From 1899 to 1939 Engine 33 was a double-engine co. with two engines and two hosewagons. Ladder 9 moved into that house in 1948 ;)

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Remember about 33 & 9 - that is where the insides shots for Ghost Busters were filmed. They used Lad 8 for the outside view.