Your FAVORITE classic NYC firehouse?

Manhattan - Engine 55
Brooklyn - Engine 284/Ladder 149
Queens - Engine 258/Ladder 115
Staten Island - Ladder 79/Battalion 22
Bronx - Squad 41

Worked in E-211/L-119 the other night.

I think I noticed one thing that this firehouse has, that no other firehouse in NYC has.

At least none that I've never been in...

Anyone???

nap72 said:
Worked in E-211/L-119 the other night.

I think I noticed one thing that this firehouse has, that no other firehouse in NYC has.

At least none that I've never been in...

Anyone???
It wasn't originally a firehouse, it was a commercial laundry building. ;)

Used to have flapper type clamshell doors in the pole hole floor openings....is that it ?

It has an elevator!

On the Exp. 4 side/Parking lot area.

It's also 5 stories, which is unusual.

Rescue 1 has an elevator across from the tv room just before the kitchen

nap72 said:
It has an elevator!

On the Exp. 4 side/Parking lot area.

It's also 5 stories, which is unusual.
Because it was a commercial laundry building that was converted to a firehouse in 1944 ;)

If they have an elevator, I'm assuming E-4 / L-15 must have at least one as well? Talk about an unusual firehouse being located within the base of a huge hi-rise!  Does anybody know what is housed above them?

My apologizies if I change the locale of unusual firehouses. Boston has a house @ 125 Purchase Street, it houses E-10, TL-3 (not a FDNY tl, it is a mid-mount) R-1, Collapse unit and tunnel unit, both of those were for the "big dig". Also the Marine unit has quarters for the marine unit and a "boston whaler" in the first floor of a East Boston condo.

I believe the first firehouse built in a commercial skycraper was E8/L2/BC8 back in 1960.  E40/TL35 are also on the ground floor of a high rise building.

For the "storefront" firehouses - the ones wedged between many other tall structures on a tight side street, does anybody know how most of these were built?  Did most of them exist first (before surrounding buildings were put up), or vise-versa?  Were any of these stations originally something else (i.e. a store) and converted into single bay stations?  Not just in Manhattan, but it must be tricky in many situations to steer the rig(s) onto some of these narrower secondary streets and have only a couple feet to make that ever so important turn.

FDNY150 said:
How about classic rigs??

This photo is courtesy of Chief 68jk09. He gave me permission a while back, to use some of the images from his collection that he has posted on the Rant. I hope and feel assured he won't mind me reposting this image here. In posting the thread on the old site, I ran some of his original photos through the Google Picasa photo program, and posted them on the site under the title; "Brooklyn in Black & White". Funny how a Manhattan rig would wind up in the posts! But this fire truck is so sharp looking, I sure would love to hear from somebody on this site who might have operated one of these original Tower Ladders, what they thought about how it drove and operated. Thanks in advance.
She sure was a Beauty.
scanpic0157.jpg

10-3thebox said:
Not just in Manhattan, but it must be tricky in many situations to steer the rig(s) onto some of these narrower secondary streets and have only a couple feet to make that ever so important turn.

Two of the tight turnouts I remember in Brooklyn were
E226  had an Ahrens-Fox (closed cab) on State St.  and it was a marvel to see them turning out and backing in (one shot too)

L105 when they they were on Pacific St.had the Hugh FWD with the mars light above the grill, turning out in front of the firehouse was a brick retaining wall beyond which was the LIRR train yards. I remember the Truck had to jump the sidewalk almost every time.

Rescue 5 has such a tight turn-out on Clove Rd. that they usually drive straight through the parking lot to Narrows Rd. So. then turn right for anything south or east or turn left and go against one way traffic towards Targee St. so they can respond to anything north, west or on the S.I. Expressway westbound.

Capnkeys.....looks good ......feel free to re-post whatever i have put up.....these pictures are History & should be circulated for all to see.......this was the first FDNY Tower Ladder which was assigned to LAD*1.....this photo was taken  near their qtrs in 1965 w/a Yashica Mat when the rig was brand new.......i did not work there but in '72 after finishing Lad Co Chauf school the policy was to detail you to different Lad s in your area for cross training.....(just about every adjoining truck had a different model rig back then).....i was in LAD*108 then so one of the places i was detailed to was LAD*119 which had a similar rig as LAD*1 in the picture.....it was a stick shift w/single rear axle....it was pretty compact in overall length......i still preferred my ALF Tiller rig..........i think we should have a separate thread just for "Classic Rigs"

I have a lot of rig shots I took from the 80s on. Many were posted on another site by "R1smokeeater" who did a very good job, but it certainly was time consuming. My problem is lack of computer ability. I'll gladly send a copy of these disk for someone who wants to post them (in a seperate thread). I'm sure there would also be many more from others.

If anybody is interested in posting these pictures, send PM me your mailing address and I'll get these disk off to you. I think I have two of them.

If you go to "the unofficial homepage FDNY" and click on ladders 32, 136 and 163 you will see pictures of the '55 FWD rigs that JOR referenced 105 truck as having. If memory serves me correctly there also is a picture of an enclosed cab Ahrens-Fox in there somewhere. As a side note, my dad always said he hated driving the "Fox" trying to look around the "ball" on the front mounted pump.