ZIPPO

A lot of zippo lighters from WWII and Vietnam era for sale on ebay, many with personalized inscriptions, big collectors item. Did you have one JK?

A lot of zippo lighters from WWII and Vietnam era for sale on ebay, many with personalized inscriptions, big collectors item. Did you have one JK?
Yes I still have mine with the shell inscribed..the guts wore out a long time ago but the Zippo guts just pull out so I have my original shell but with a "new" mid '70s insert.... it hasn't been fired up since '79.

We had a tradition at the 54th Weather Reconnaissance Squadron that every member received an engraved Zippo at the end of their tour with the squadron. We had a bunch of miniature versions of the squadron's patch made up, and these were glued to the lighter, along with the member's name and dates of service. A very common practice among Air Force units in the Viet Nam era. Of course, almost everyone smoked then . . . a little different today.

Back during the war years there was a cry after the fire was extinguished anybody have a dry match? Just look at Backdraft and they all light up after fire was out. So reminded me of how it was. I quit 44 years ago and never looked back all thanks to a good job on Atlantic and Hopkinson.

When I was in the service, 64-68, Zippo was the lighter of choice with a lifetime guarantee. I believe only $2.00 in the BX and no tax. I still have mine from my Service days and used it till I quit smoking in 76. A little beat up and the numbers inside are not readable from refilling it by having to separate lighter from case. Was hoping to read some kind of date info, but no chance.