FDNY EMS 25th Anniversary

Ok so here is are some questions given the 25th anniversary:
How does the CFRD firefighter compare to a NY EMTBasic?
Is there any interest in Engine based EMTs?
How often is the Engine at scene waiting for the bus or is this stat even kept for 10-37s?
BLS (EMT-Basics ) are generally a standard in most areas of the country. Is the resistance fiscal or political?
Or does FDNY just want a hard firewall between EMS and Suppression.
I'm not picking, I'm just trying to understand, I work for the DOD, and in our world, there is no regulation requiring EMT certification at all. Just First Aid and CPR except for the USMC.
Many depts. provide ALS off the engine, however the base chooses to assume the cost, and programs are always in danger.
I'm happy FDNY CFRDs are there. My niece was a customer some years ago. I think the merger was a good idea looking in from the outside, but alas I'm looking in from the outside.

How often is the Engine at scene waiting for the bus or is this stat even kept for 10-37s?
BLS (EMT-Basics ) are generally a standard in most areas of the country. Is the resistance fiscal or political?
I'm not picking, I'm just trying to understand, I work for the DOD, and in our world, there is no regulation requiring EMT certification at all. Just First Aid and CPR except for the USMC.
Many depts. provide ALS off the engine, however the base chooses to assume the cost, and programs are always in danger.
I'm happy FDNY CFRDs are there. My niece was a customer some years ago. I think the merger was a good idea looking in from the outside, but alas I'm looking in from the outside.
"pefroymson", I wanted to reply to your above comment. However, I did hit the LIKE Button which I meant to hit the Reply Button.

But being that you work for the DOD, I might advise you that any member of course is entitled to respond to your questions here.

However, please understand that it is merely an opinion given. Nothing that might be of concern to the DOD, or the FDNY or it's FDNY/EMS Organization.

It might be better that you contact the FDNY or FDNY/EMS directly through letter or email, in particular using the DOD letterhead or website for a better understanding of how and why.

It might also be advisable for you to do the same regarding your concern with the NYPD Encryption topic on this site.

Thank you for understanding.

1) From a documenting and transport perspective there are quite a few differences, but as far as immediate life saving actions go CFR-D can do much of what EMTs can. But, really the most import thing a CFR engine can do on an EMS run is starting CPR. Even if they weren't CFR certified that alone would be worth the response.
2) No.
3) It's pretty rare for us to keep an engine waiting, especially for longer than say five minutes (Out of my 3,100+ responses it's maybe happened 3 or 4 times). Usually we are pulling up right behind them, or more commonly getting their first and they go 10-91.
4) I'd say historical, NYC EMS was originally a different agency until the merger and has had decades to develop into the agency it is today. In the same vein, suppression has never done transport, even in the worse days of the pandemic Firefighters were not riding the bus. Many other departments absorbed EMS right as it was starting in modernity and have developed into truly integrated agencies. Many things FDNY does don't work for other departments and vise versa.
5) There is no animosity between EMS and suppression, like I hear there was years ago. With so many members and now even officers having started in EMS, were just another extension of the family. Also, they know how busy some of our units are, and the conditions we work under. I have never had a bad interaction with a company. (Of course, as with any job if you abuse them, they may become unfriendly).

Here's some information comparing different EMS certification levels, including CFR vs EMT. I don't believe it's 100% up to date but it can give you a pretty good idea. It shows how similar CFR and EMT are in a lot of ways, like Lebby said. https://www.health.ny.gov/professio...tandards_transition/docs/skill_comparison.pdf

Here's some information comparing different EMS certification levels, including CFR vs EMT. I don't believe it's 100% up to date but it can give you a pretty good idea. It shows how similar CFR and EMT are in a lot of ways, like Lebby said. https://www.health.ny.gov/professio...tandards_transition/docs/skill_comparison.pdf
That's interesting, In Arizona we had 3 EMT levels basic, advanced and Paramedic . First responders I do not think are a State certification, and we essentially got rid of "advanced" because they added so many skills it was just a matter of getting signed off on paramedic meds. EMTs can start IVs maintain IVs, administer all the common patient assisted meds , defib, and intubate with a King Airway or similar device. However all those skills require extra training and a required number of "field Sticks" and your Medical Director has to sign off. So depending where you are in the state or who you medical director is, you can do none, some or all. Some agencies have contracted to medical Directors and Base Hospitals out of their area so they can get the extra skills. A big debate in Az right now is Ketoimine and RSI. RSI allowed in Phoenix not in Yuma. Ketoimine allowed in Yuma, not so much every where else.

And then there is California, we work with them alot. Southern California regulates by County, you are certified statewide on national level curriculum but every county Medical Director can change protocol. AMR hired a bunch of California medics for Az, and they did not know what "off line" direction even was. They had to call in everything including IV starts.

One question, where would you find EMRs, can they work on a ambulance?
BTW Great Discussion!

That's interesting, In Arizona we had 3 EMT levels basic, advanced and Paramedic . First responders I do not think are a State certification, and we essentially got rid of "advanced" because they added so many skills it was just a matter of getting signed off on paramedic meds. EMTs can start IVs maintain IVs, administer all the common patient assisted meds , defib, and intubate with a King Airway or similar device. However all those skills require extra training and a required number of "field Sticks" and your Medical Director has to sign off. So depending where you are in the state or who you medical director is, you can do none, some or all. Some agencies have contracted to medical Directors and Base Hospitals out of their area so they can get the extra skills. A big debate in Az right now is Ketoimine and RSI. RSI allowed in Phoenix not in Yuma. Ketoimine allowed in Yuma, not so much every where else.

And then there is California, we work with them alot. Southern California regulates by County, you are certified statewide on national level curriculum but every county Medical Director can change protocol. AMR hired a bunch of California medics for Az, and they did not know what "off line" direction even was. They had to call in everything including IV starts.

One question, where would you find EMRs, can they work on a ambulance?
BTW Great Discussion!
New York has CFR instead of EMR, and New York like most of the northeast a ambulance needs at very least a EMT.