New Rescues in Production

I believe the FDNY requires a stainless steel cab and body. Not too many builders do that. Most only offer stainless bodies. The only ones I know of are Seagrave(all lines), KME (Severe Service) and Ferrara (Ultra) although I think Ferrara may have dropped the Ultra chassis since it's not listed on their site anymore. Yonkers just went with an Inferno chassis on the new Squad 11 after using the Ultra's for a few years. Pierce doesn't offer a stainless cab and from what I've heard they have not interest in offering it.
Could someone tell me the reason for the stainless steel cab?

Bulldog

Bulldog
Could someone tell me the reason for the stainless steel cab?
I'm not sure but I believe that it may be because of corrosion resistance, the winters and the huge use of salt in northern climates is rough in vehicle bodies. Aluminum is also corrosion resistant but is much more prone to cracking caused by vibrations etc.

I'm not sure but I believe that it may be because of corrosion resistance, the winters and the huge use of salt in northern climates is rough in vehicle bodies. Aluminum is also corrosion resistant but is much more prone to cracking caused by vibrations etc.
Thanks

It seems that no matter what the make of the apparatus, a significant percentage of them are returned to the manufacturer before FDNY accepts them. I understand that today's apparatus is far more complex than the 1940s & 1950s vintage pieces I served on, but what's the problem? Is it a quality control issue with Seagrave, Ferrara and KME (among others), or is FDNY really anal about demanding perfection?

It seems that no matter what the make of the apparatus, a significant percentage of them are returned to the manufacturer before FDNY accepts them. I understand that today's apparatus is far more complex than the 1940s & 1950s vintage pieces I served on, but what's the problem? Is it a quality control issue with Seagrave, Ferrara and KME (among others), or is FDNY really anal about demanding perfection?
If the quality check is still the same each new Apparatus goes thru a 25 page checklist. If one issue is found the FDNY will NOT ACCEPT the rig until correction completed.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Yes there were/ are issues with Squad 8s paint, scuffs whatever they call it.
I realize that FDNY wants to get top quality equipment but minor paint scuffs? The rigs are going to get scrapes and scratches the 1st day they going to service anyway. I certainly understand and agree with not accepting a piece of apparatus if there are any operational problems or quality-control issues but minor paint blemishes?

I realize that FDNY wants to get top quality equipment but minor paint scuffs? The rigs are going to get scrapes and scratches the 1st day they going to service anyway. I certainly understand and agree with not accepting a piece of apparatus if there are any operational problems or quality-control issues but minor paint blemishes?
Would you buy a brand new vehicle that has blemishes in the paint?

They are probably leery that if the manufacturer delivers his product with some defects (even if minor) what else may be wrong with the product ?....i doubt the manufacturer says " OK we will knock X amount of dollars off the price".

Paint blemishes are pretty common on new rigs. Its not uncommon for workers at the factory to scratch the rig here and there during assembly after its been painted. Part of the process of the final inspection is to ID things like scratches and scuffs so they can be addressed before taking delivery.
Typically, a department will go out to the factory for the final inspection and then once its delivered to them, they will give it a final look-over to ensure that all items ID'd at the final inspection were corrected be for accepting it. Considering how stringent the FDNY's acceptance tests are I would be more surprised if they didn't come up with a few dozen paint corrections before taking delivery.

Paint blemishes are pretty common on new rigs. Its not uncommon for workers at the factory to scratch the rig here and there during assembly after its been painted. Part of the process of the final inspection is to ID things like scratches and scuffs so they can be addressed before taking delivery.
Typically, a department will go out to the factory for the final inspection and then once its delivered to them, they will give it a final look-over to ensure that all items ID'd at the final inspection were corrected be for accepting it. Considering how stringent the FDNY's acceptance tests are I would be more surprised if they didn't come up with a few dozen paint corrections before taking delivery.
Not FDNY but my job just got a new engine, that’s why there is factory final and dealserhip inspection, make sure everything is done right, im also sure there is more than enough road debris and such from WI to NYC or the NJ dealership to cause issues.