SUPER PUMPER 1

The old hydrants are removed when new water mains are installed. The website seems to have been last updated in 2001. Info may be out of date.

^^^^^. Even after the HP system was discontinued but before the Hydrants were removed some people got summonses for blocking the Hydrant .

19112-255094ab9a96647b951ee9f81536c10c.jpg

The high pressure hydrants had a total of seven valves.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member

Final day of training with FDNY. Marine 9 supplied water today for foam op training! What an awesome group of firefighters to work with!

1653743862931.jpeg
1653743953937.jpeg

1653744042540.jpeg
1653744389960.jpeg

1653744507965.jpeg

1653744598317.jpeg

1653744726560.jpeg

1653744815871.jpeg

1653744899231.jpeg
1653744997383.jpeg

They were also in lower Manhattan.
When they were being phased out and I don't remember if it was a job-wide policy or Division 1 policy not to use high pressure hydrants because they were unreliable, I think the Captain of Engine 9 sent in a report that the only hydrants on East Broadway were high pressure.
This was around '88 or '89.
High pressure systems were more than just pumping stations and dedicated water mains for fire fighting. The systems had standpipe connections for fireboats, nine fireboat tender companies, then twenty high pressure engine companies, and later, Satellite units with the original Super Pumper system. The NY high pressure systems were discontinued in 1953.

Other cities also had special units to operate on their high pressure systems with different names such as Hose, High Pressure, Pipeline, and Deluge companies.

Last edited:
High pressure systems were more than just pumping stations and dedicated water mains for fire fighting. The systems had standpipe connections for fireboats, nine fireboat tender companies, then twenty high pressure engine companies, and later, Satellite units with the original Super Pumper system. The NY high pressure systems were discontinued in 1953.

Other cities also had special units to operate on their high pressure systems with different names such Hose, High Pressure, Pipeline, and Deluge companies.
Since the Super Pumper is training with the Fireboats I am wondering if there will be dedicated locations throughout the City for the fireboats to moor and supply the Super Pumper.

Since the Super Pumper is training with the Fireboats I am wondering if there will be dedicated locations throughout the City for the fireboats to moor and supply the Super Pumper.
The Aux Pumps at SOC are suppose to supply the Super Pumper aswell I believe.

Mr. bulldog it’s not the fact that they need a tender per se as in a satellite unit but as in to carry all the extra hoses and pumps and boosters etc. that they will need when they don’t have a fire boat at their disposal and even when they have the fire boat there’s still a lot that needs to be done for this thing to work

The original Super Pumper rarely operated with a Marine Company supplying it. It relied on the best/largest water mains in proximity to the fire scene. Its hoses were provided by either the Super Tender and/or the Satellites.

I've seen a lot of comments disparaging the new "Super Pumper" (and to be honest, I have a hard time calling it that). But, if you consider the decision to buy it a mistake, consider this: They could have done worse:

!.jpg

It's an ex-US Army HST (High Speed Tractor) with a train following it containing water and foam concentrate.

The bottom line is this it is an industrial firefighting pumper designed to fight flammable liquid fires. Just look at the largest of the three monitors on the truck. It is a Williams Fire control foam nozzle. Yes it can throw a massive amount of water without foam but does not have the punch and hydraulic knockdown of the Stang guns on the Old satellites. So yes this truck can perform multiple missions 1) it can draft or relay 5000+ GPM. A good tool to have for that once a decade conflagration or if water mains are compromised 2) it can be used as a mega stream like the current satellites. 3) it is a good resource to have with the various petroleum pipelines (buckeye) coming through Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queen, as well as the various storage tanks and barges on the Brooklyn/Queens border area and the airports. FDNY has always had a decent supply of foam . All petroleum fires have a minimum application rate of foam in order to be extinguished. Large pools or tanks can require foam application rates Greater than 3000 GPM of finished foam. The port authority has many crash trucks (ARFF) which utilize military spec AFFF foam for rapid knockdown. AFFF foam is not a great long duration blanketing foam. It has (by design) a rapid drain down time. FDNY foam is multipurpose and is better suited for blanketing (vapor suppression) of large spills or extinguished fuels
So yes this unit will most likely rarely see action but is a good tool to have in the Arsenal for the reasons just stated - I agree - there was only one Super Pumper. Maybe they should have called it Mega Water (they used Maxi Water before) or Foam Engine, or Something else.

Didn't the Stang on the original satellites have 6" tips? Thats a serious stream of water I don't remember the gpm but I think a few thousand.