FDNY: Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is a Nolan Rail Cart
A. A Nolan Rail Cart is a cart that lines up on the tracks so units can transport equipment along the tracks at an incident. They have electric and manual ones.

Units that Carry Nolan Rain Carts

Manhattan:
E8 E14 E15 E21 E28 E33 E58 E91
Sq18 HR1* HR2* ReBreather 1 Soc Logistic* Division of Training*

Bronx:
E68 E71 E83 E92
Sq41 SQ61

Brooklyn:
E206 E207 E216 E221 E226 E238
Sq1 Sq252

Queens:
E259 E260 E307 E325
Sq270 Sq288
Rebreather Ops*

Staten Island:
E156 E162
Sq8

*These Units & Facilities have (2) Nolan Rail Carts

Last edited:
A. A Nolan Rail Cart is a cart that lines up on the tracks so units can transport equipment along the tracks at an incident. They have electric and manual ones.

Manhattan:
Sq18 HR1* HR2* SL* Division of Training*

Bronx:
E68 E71 E83 E92
Sq41 SQ61

Brooklyn:
Sq1 Sq252

Queens:
E259 E260 E307 E325
Sq270 Sq288
Rebreather Ops*

Staten Island:
E156 E162
Sq8

Rebreather Manhattan has Nolan. Weird how all Nolans in Manhattan are all on the east side of the city

Manhattan:

Bronx:
E68 E71 E83 E92
Sq41 SQ61

Brooklyn:
Sq1 Sq252

Queens:
E259 E260 E307 E325
Sq270 Sq288
Rebreather Ops*

Staten Island:
E156 E162
Sq8

Saw that on another site, halfway through there is a picture of SOC setting up a Nolan Cart

Manhattan:

Bronx:
E68 E71 E83 E92
Sq41 SQ61

Brooklyn:
Sq1 Sq252

Queens:
E259 E260 E307 E325
Sq270 Sq288
Rebreather Ops*

Staten Island:
E156 E162
Sq8

SL?

I was reading the post of "4/6/21 Queens 8th Alarm Box 7864" and saw that two sets of "Relief" companies were sent. What are relief companies and do they count as separate alarms?

Most of the time the IC will request Relief companies every 3 hours.

Relief companies were assigned so they wouldn't have to call a greater alarm.

Now a days alarms don't go higher than 5th Alarm. But could keep calling for relief companies.

As always correct me if I am wrong

This is a general fire department question and not specifically FDNY, but what is a "roughneck"? I was listening to live audio on a house fire in Cincinnati today and I heard one firefighter refer to another as a "roughneck" as if that's a position on the fire engine. I believe the firefighter said "Engine 19 roughneck, start the hydrant."

What do the different Classes of Fire Alarms mean? Class 3, Class E & I believe Class J
Class 3 is a designation for a Non FDNY alarm that is generated by a Private Alarm Company like A.D.T.
Class E is a Alarm from a non FDNY system similar to a class 3 alarm but originating in a Class E Building = Office Building
Class J is a Alarm from a non FDNY system similar to a class 3 alarm but originating in a Class J Building = Residential Building
Captain Robert Rainey Engine 26 FDNY retired

Whelp I am looking to pass some times so I figured I would add another Frequently asked question to the mix here. At times I still forget what steps are which.

Fall Back Step 1 2 & 3

What is "Fall Back Step"
During periods of inordinately heavy volume of incidents whether it is fires and or emergencies, the normal response to alarms may be adjusted according to a Fallback response mode.
Conditions requiring a change to Fallback must be identified, implemented & terminated.

How does "Fall Back Step Happen"
Conditions that can implementation of a Fallback include but are not limited to:
- 30 open Incidents, for longer than 20 minutes.
- Sustained Availability of Engine or Ladder Companies below 50%, for longer than 20 minutes.
- 2nd Alarm or greater transmitted in the borough of Staten Island
- Severe weather conditions that are either imminent or occurring, which will significantly impact activity levels
Examples: Severe thunderstorms, Tornados, Blizzards, Red flag warnings
- Any 10-66 in conjunction with a 10-60

Fall Back Step Assignments:
Step 1
- Electromechanical Boxes: Nearest available unit (Engine or Ladder)
- Class-3 maximum response: 1 Engine, 1 Ladder & 1 BC

Step 2: (Includes Step 1)
- Class-3 response: Nearest available Engine or Ladder
- CO Detector: 1 Ladder or nearest available CO meter equipped unit
- Water leak: Nearest available Engine or Ladder
- SOC matrix response that requires a Structural Response: 2 Engines, 1 Ladder, 1 BC & SOC units

Step 3: (Includes Steps 1 & 2)
- Structural Responses: 2 Engines, 1 Ladder & 1 BC
On a verified second source: 3 Engines, 2 Ladders & 1 BC
- SOC matrix response that requires a Structural Response: 1 Engine, 1 Ladder, 1 BC, nearest available Rescue, Squad & nearest available SOC Support Ladder
On a verified second source: the normal SOC matrix gets filled out.
- Gas Leaks, Odors of Gas or similar odors: 1 Engine & 1 Ladder.
- Manhole Fires: 2 Engines, 1 Ladder & 1 BC.

Minimum responses, based on CIDS or Box numbers are suspended.
Responses will be based on information received.
Fallback procedures may be instituted step-by-step, or Step 2 or 3 could be opted for at the outset.
There is no response to ERS No-Contact daily from 0800-2300 hours.
The response to electromechanical boxes is 1 Engine, 24 hours a day.

Most of the time the IC will request Relief companies every 3 hours.

Relief companies were assigned so they wouldn't have to call a greater alarm.

Now a days alarms don't go higher than 5th Alarm. But could keep calling for relief companies.

As always correct me if I am wrong
Above 5 alarms exists. You can call for a 6th 7th etc.. The CAD goes up to 5th alarm and after that its put in manually, unless that has changed recently.

Above 5 alarms exists. You can call for a 6th 7th etc.. The CAD goes up to 5th alarm and after that it’s put in manually, unless that has changed recently.
Recently Alarm Cards go up to 11th Alarms

But incidents only go as high as 5th Alarms

IC can request relief companies and special called until Under Control

I spend over 30 years in the FDNY retiring as the Captain-Company Commander of Engine 26 near Times Square. I had some very big fires in my years on the job. In 1976 I was assigned as a firefighter in Tower Ladder 18. on Manhattan's Lower East Side. and we often were sent to large fires in Manhattan and also Brooklyn. One of these fires was an 11 Alarm Fire in Bushwick Brooklyn, near the Brooklyn-Queens Border, that at one point involved 32 Buildings. I also responded from as a Covering Lieutenant in South Bronx to a an 8th Alarm Fire on West 43 St. In Manhattan a missive fire in a vacant Piano Factory that destroyed the firehouse of Rescue Co. 1. As the Captain of Engine 26 I responded to the 1st Bomb explosion at the World Trade Center, Total response equal to 23 Alarms. I was retired but responded to the 9/11 World Trade Center attack, that attack holds the all time FDNY record as equal to 27 Alarms. I theory the most alarms in any one NYC Borough is 5 Alarms, above 5 alarms a Borough Call Alarm was used to bring units from another Borough to the location of the fire in the borough that already has 5 alarms transmitted for that indecent. During time of "Civil Unrest" FDNY used "Emergency Command Procedures" E.C.P. command Posts are set up just outside the affected "Riot" area. Teams Consisting of Police or National Guard Units, an FDNY Battalion Chief, and Engine Company, a Tower Ladder Company a 2nd Engine Company, then more Police &/or National Guard unit/s = A "Fire Control Team" if more units are required additional "Fire Control Team/s" ar assigned from E.C.P. Command Post. See the photos of major fire in Bushwick Brooklyn I responded to with Tower Ladder 18 during the "Great N.Y. Blackout of 1977" as part of the 1st Fire Control Team on the scene of this major fire that went to a equivalent of over 5 alarms. SORRY For some reason one of the photos is here twice and have been unable to remove the duplicate.
As far as I know it additional alarms including alarms above a 5th alarm are still transmitted for relief a major fires until the Incident Commander declares "Under Control" After the "Under Control" relief units are "Special Called" on an individual basis.
Captain Bob Rainey "The Rainman" Engine 26 Retired

FDNY BKlyn 10-10 76 Bleeker St Bushwick is Burning 1977.jpgFDNY 8th Alarm on W. 43 St. R-1 Qtrs..jpgFDNY Black Out 1977 Thruxston St. Conflagration.jpgFDNY Black Out 1977 Thruxston St. Conflagration.jpg
FDNY Black Out 1977 Boro Call & Em. Command Prpocedures.jpg

HCO

To further clarify response beyond the fifth alarm: "Any Additional Units requested above a 5th Alarm will be special called by the Incident Commander and the incident will remain a 5th Alarm" per current Dispatch Operations directives.

THANK YOU "Captain784"

I noticed that you have recently joined this web site.
We certainly welcome you and I think you'll find many of your friends and Brother FDNY Firefighters who battled the same jobs that you probably know.

Many of us remember those jobs you talk about.

There are also Firefighters from outside the area, Buffs/Photographers, EMTs/Medics, Police Officers, Military Members, Dispatchers, those who worked in jobs such as Con Ed within the neighborhoods you worked in and of course both Active and Retired FDNY Members.

There are sections on this site that I hope you will take the time to review, particularly in the "History Section" that might interest you.

As many know here, as a Retired Firefighter from a small department, I buffed for many years the FDNY starting from the summer of 1968 when I was invited to ride with Rescue 2, which was then on Carlton Ave with Engine 210.
Of course the guys here have heard my story a hundred times over, but PLEASE Check Out; "My Younger Buff Years" in the History Section. Several other guys who were a part of it joined in as well.

There are videos, photos, policy notices and sadly the news of "Another FDNY War Years Firefighter Passes", as well as Those we have lost from 9/11 related cancer.

But "Captain784", don't take my word for it. Just check things out for yourself

THANK YOU

mack

Administrator
Welcome Captain784. Please enjoy our site. We welcome your pictures and comments.

Another boring day at work brings us to another most likely useless post.

On January 7th 2019 FDNY lost FF Steven Pollard while operating at an MVA on the belt parkway.

Since that sad event every time a Box is transmitted for that stretch of the Highway along that Bridge an announcement is made warning of the gap between the East & West bound roadways.

"Units responding to Box XXXX an open gap exists between the elevated roadways. Units shall exercise extreme caution when conducting operations which require members to cross over the center concrete barriers."
(Think that's it)

Figured I'd list the boxes with "Open Gaps"

Staten Island:
Box 8752
Bayonne Bridge

Manhattan
Box 8107 & 8108
Williamsburg Bridge (Between Inner & Outer Roadways)

Brooklyn
Box 8624
Belt Pkwy Between Ocean Pkwy & Cropsey Ave

Box 8628
Mill Basin Bridge
Any Incident on the Belt Pkwy (Between Rockaway Pkwy & Flatbush Ave)

Box 8668
Kosciuszko Bridge

Queens
Box 8380
Kosciuszko Bridge

Box 8356
LIE at Woodhaven Blvd (Between Inner & Outer Roadways)