The Mayday transmission is an indication that a
life threatening situation has developed. This term is used **only** in the following situations:
- 1. Imminent collapse feared
- 2. Structural collapse has Occurred
- 3. A firefighter is Unconscious or suffers a life threatening injury
- 4. An officer becomes aware that a member under his/her supervision is Missing. (If the missing member is an officer, any team member can transmit this message.)
- 5. Member becomes trapped or Lost
- (Memory jogger: “I owe u my life” I- Imminent collapse O-occurred collapse U-unconscious or life threatening injury M-missing member L-lost or trapped member.)
An URGENT transmission is used to indicate that a member has suffered a serious injury that is not immediately life threatening,
or to inform members of a serious change in conditions. The term urgent may be used in the following situations.
- 1. When a member suffers from an Injury that is not immediately life threatening but which requires medical attention and hospital care.
- 2. Loss of Water, which would endanger members.
- 3. An Interior attack is to be discontinued and an exterior attack instituted.
- 4. Discovery of a structural problem indicating the danger/Fear of collapse.
- 5. Fire is discovered entering an exposure to a degree that any delay may considerably enlarge the fire problem.
In FDNY, most likely a flashover or back draft would be an urgent message. I know I would certainly not use a Mayday for a flashover or backdraft unless of course firefighters are trapped, then that becomes a totally different animal.