Tower Ladders vs Rear Mount straight ladders

How doe the powers that be in the FDNY decide whether a ladder company should be assigned a Tower ladder or a rear mount straight ladder ?

How doe the powers that be in the FDNY decide whether a ladder company should be assigned a Tower ladder or a rear mount straight ladder ?
Just a guess but the large majority of battalions in the FDNY have ATLEAST one Tower. I remember seeing something a chief said (I think I could be yapping) that when possible you want a Tower Ladder on your scene. Makes it easier incase you got to go exterior you don't need to wait longer for a TL. Alot safer and easier to make grabs from windows aswell.

If I am not mistaken if 3 Sticks are assigned the 4th one is required to be a Tower Ladder. Or maybe it’s the 5th.

when they came into the job in the mid 60’s, O’Hagen wanted at least one to be on the report of the 10-30/10-75. Would imagine that location, types of occupancies play into it.

The original design by Chief O'Hagan was to have a TL and RM assigned to every box. But of course this is/was not always possible...During the selection process, L 31 was supposed to become a RM, but the Captain (who was buddies with O'Hagan) convinced him to send L 31 a TL, and instead of L 19 being a TL, it became a RM.

The attached video shows some great companies doing an outstanding job at a bread and butter job. But it demonstrates some a great aerial device comparison. There is no better airborne fire killer than the aerial scope. There is also no better aerial device for rapid roof access or a single point window grab than the FDNY spec straight stick. Look at the video. At 0:19 TL44 is beginning to drop its tormentors. At 1:19 L27 comes to a complete stop in front of the fire building. 1 full minute behind the TL. At 2:46 ladder 27 is on the roof. At 3:00 both members from L27 and TL 44 transition onto the roof. Well done lads.

Always was told tower ladder vs aerial ladder placement had to do with the building in that units first due response area.

Nice stop by 92/44, and WOW what a "stop" by 27 truck. Chauffeur dumped the parking brake perfectly.
Fire blowing out the kitchen window?

Always was told tower ladder vs aerial ladder placement had to do with the building in that units first due response area.
Not really, the Bronx is made up with the same types of structures whether your in E 45's area, to E 89's area to Hunts Point. H Buildings, TAXPAYER- and row frames. Same as in Brooklyn and Queens. The neighborhood make-up are all the same generally speaking.

Every NYC Borough has a lot of tall buildings and sometimes a 75-foot Tower ladder will not reach to the roof. Some FDNY Tower Ladders are 95 feet but not all. So, in tall buildings a 100-foot aerial ladder are often, needed for access to the roof. In advanced fires on lower floors, or shorter buildings the front of the fire building should be kept for Tower Ladder/s, at serious advanced fires. "The front of the building belongs to the truck" and a visible life hazard generally trumps all other considerations. I know money is always a consideration, but FDNY would do well to consider at least one large Tower Ladder, over 100 feet in each Division. The London Fire Brigade in the U.K. has taken delivery of two, 206-foot aerial devices in response a multiple fatality in a London U.K. FDNY TL-18 FF Bob Rainey+Bob Dmartini.jpgTL-18 Feather Factory Fire 1978 or 9.jpgLt. Rainey TL-21.jpgHighrise Dwelling. Toronto Canada has at one 270 ft. Tower Ladder. I spent almost 20 years working in busy FDNY Tower Ladders in the South Bronx and 2 Areas in Manhattan. Nothing is generally better at controlling advanced fires than a properly position and utilized Tower Ladder. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.