History of the Squad Co's?

Engine 30 of the Detroit Fire Department was placed in service on October 15, 1908 at Steam Fire Engine Co No. 2' s old quarters on Hastings Street between Congress and Larned Streets. It was given a four cylinder extra size Packard touring car and a crew of 15. Its' assignment was all first alarm boxes in the high-value district from the Detroit River to Vernor Street, West Jefferson to Clark Avenues, East Jefferson to Field Avenues and all multiple alarms citywide. The company went out of service for three hours for meal break after the breakfast and mid-day meal leaves were completed for the city. It quickly became known as the "Suicide Squad" for their high speed (compared to horses) responses. It subsequently was formally renamed Flying Squadron No. 1 and moved next to Engine 2 at East Larned and St. Antoine Streets in 1918.

And this became the birth of the squad!

Is there a reason why squad 8 didn't become squad 154 like the rest of the squads using their old engine co numbers?
There was a original SQ8 in Manhattan from '60 to '66. That probably has something to do with it.

You've probably been up all night wondering what happened to Squad 23 in the list of the squads employed by FDNY during WWII.

With preliminary telegraph signal '9' used for the special call for Special Units, terminal telegraph signals '21-24' were used to identify searchlight units.

My guess is that the Department went down to one searchlight unit during the war (particularly with war time blackouts), and that unit was Searchlight 23 (Bronx), and retained terminal signal '23'.

Is there a reason why squad 8 didn't become squad 154 like the rest of the squads using their old engine co numbers?
I think I remember reading on here or somewhere else that they wanted to keep 154 for the possible re-establishment of Engine 154

SQ*1 was never Citywide on 10-75s .
Thanks. I was told that by an old Squad 1 guy. I guess it is possible to pull someone's leg through the internet. You would think I would know better by now. That's why I asked. So what was Squad 1's assignment when they were the only squad company?

Squad 8 was also supposed to go to E168 house probably would have been better since all the training they have there now

Someone can add to this or correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is as follows. The historical version of the squad companies (pre-1990s) were manpower units. SQ1 was the last one standing. In the 1990s, there was an increased focus on terrorism and HAZMAT capabilities, while at the same time the city was pushing to shut down a handful of slower engine companies. FDNY leadership including Chief Downey convinced Fire Commissioner Von Essen and in turn Mayor Giuliani of a plan where the department's need for increased HAZMAT capability could be met by converting these engine companies into squads. I believe they were initially conceived as basically HAZMAT engines, but the department ultimately decided to add them to 10-75s and rescue operations to ensure enough members wanted to be assigned there. Apparently there was a concern that if they were simply an engine with HAZMAT capability, nobody would sign up. In terms of the order they were stood up, SQ1 as mentioned was a holdover from the previous era. After that I believe in the mid 1990s E41 was operating as an "enhanced engine", a term devised to deal with political resistance to the squad concept. Squads 18, 61, 252, 288, and 270 came online July 1, 1988, followed by Squad 41 the next day. Squad 8 was organized December 10, 2018. I believe the rationale behind forming SQ8 was the department moving toward a model where each borough has its own independent compliment of resources and can operate self sufficiently (i.e. each borough having at least a rescue, squad, collapse rig, etc).

Much of the evolution of the squads is covered in a Gettin Salty Podcast Episode on the founding of the modern squads, where they sat down with four of the original squad captains. It is a great show:
July 1998.

Enhanced engine (SQ41) went into service in July of 1990. I retired in 1995, 41 & Squad 1 were the only ones in service.
Sorry, just read the past posts & I guess 41 officially became Squad 41 well after I retired. There was so much nonsense when 41 first reopened as an enhanced engine (squad) I tend to forget about the whole squad/enhanced engine stuff. I was 1 of the original members along with Jack K. & I’ve always said it was the best of times (the fires) & the worst of times (all the other bs). As I told the original Captain, John Keenan, I didn’t care what they called us as long as we went to work. And we did a ton of work during my time there.

Last edited:
^^^ Always a pleasure working with you.
Same here. As I always told the guys I would have followed you anywhere at a fire. You knew your stuff better than most anyone I worked with. From my time watching Rescue 2 roll into a job & seeing that Fu Manchu at the wheel to our time working in 332 to our time at SQ41 it was quite a ride. My career ended way too soon & almost 30yrs later I can say honestly I think about the job everyday. I remember Bucky saying you were way overqualified to be a Lt in 332 but I’m glad you landed there because I got to meet & work with you. And I always remember when you called me & asked if I wanted to go to Squad 41 & said yes right away. Even though you said I didnt have to give you an answer right away😂. When 41 opened I said it then & still say it we had some of the most experienced “been there done that officers” on the job. I think most of us expected some bs but not some that surfaced from unexpected sources