History of the Squad Co's?

Enhanced Engine 41 or later referred to as Squad 41 was the place you wanted to be if you wanted to fight fires.
Covering the Bronx, Harlem, and Washington Heights, those 41 guys certainly caught their share of work, PLUS the pin jobs, water rescues, etc.

I sure was a lucky guy just to be a buff at the time and see them operate.
I had a few buff buddies that usually joined me.
One of them we used to call "Little Mikey"
He later became an FDNY member working in the busy Ladder 11 in the Lower East Side, then went on become a member of Squad 41.
After that he went to Rescue 3.
Maybe you remember him, Mike L.

These days Mike L., is still very active in the fire service here in Ct.
Willy D (NFD2004)

The number 8-8 was the old Borough designation for the NYC Borough of Richmond. Later Staten Island under the old FDNY telegraph alarm system. 8-8 2-2 2419, 8-8 meant Staten Island, 2-2 =Second Alarm, 2419 =Alarm box number. I do NOT know of this box actually exist in Staten Island
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Captain, Box 2419 does actually exist on the island. BARBARA ST 150' W OF E BROADWAY

2419 is only used on S.I and Bklyn.

I worked in Engine 41 in the 1980 as a covering Lieutenant, and 41 was a very busy Engine back then. So busy that I was surprised when they became 1st "Enhanced" Engine Co. 41 and later Squad 41. The original concept of the Post 1980s Squad was, they were to become Squads because their own response area was not that busy and they would therefore be available for Squad duties. That was not the fact with Engine 41/Squad 41, they are and were very busy. At one time talk was going on about making Manhattan's Engine 23 a Squad, but due to E-23 being busy and their location that never happen. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

I worked in Engine 41 in the 1980 as a covering Lieutenant, and 41 was a very busy Engine back then. So busy that I was surprised when they became 1st "Enhanced" Engine Co. 41 and later Squad 41. The original concept of the Post 1980s Squad was, they were to become Squads because their own response area was not that busy and they would therefore be available for Squad duties. That was not the fact with Engine 41/Squad 41, they are and were very busy. At one time talk was going on about making Manhattan's Engine 23 a Squad, but due to E-23 being busy and their location that never happen. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.
Engine 41 was disbanded 1989, "Enhanced Engine 41" was re-organized in 1990, under completely different circumstances and community pressure prior to the other companies that were less busy and eventually became Squad Co's in 1998.

Good information Johnny thank you. At one time there was a move to establish additional Hazardous Material Units in the FDNY. On idea floated was addition Rescue Companies that would also fulfill the additional Haz. Mat. requirement. Then the FDNY management finally arrived at the concept of additional Squad units with a Haz. Mat. response capability and responsibility. The Squads were more versatile as they were also available for use as Engine Companies if that is what was needed. At the time this evaluation was going on I was a Lieutenant in Tower Ladder 21 and Rescue 1 was temporally quartered with TL-21 and Engine 34. This is the reason I know about this concept. Later on, the Haz. Tech. Engine Companies were initiated to further supply Haz. Mat capabilities, as well as C.P.C Ladder Companies to provide Chemical Protective entry suits when that was required. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.