History of the Squad Co's?

Engine 30 of the Detroit Fire Department was placed in service on October 15, 1908 at Steam Fire Engine Co No. 2' s old quarters on Hastings Street between Congress and Larned Streets. It was given a four cylinder extra size Packard touring car and a crew of 15. Its' assignment was all first alarm boxes in the high-value district from the Detroit River to Vernor Street, West Jefferson to Clark Avenues, East Jefferson to Field Avenues and all multiple alarms citywide. The company went out of service for three hours for meal break after the breakfast and mid-day meal leaves were completed for the city. It quickly became known as the "Suicide Squad" for their high speed (compared to horses) responses. It subsequently was formally renamed Flying Squadron No. 1 and moved next to Engine 2 at East Larned and St. Antoine Streets in 1918.

And this became the birth of the squad!

Is there a reason why squad 8 didn't become squad 154 like the rest of the squads using their old engine co numbers?
There was a original SQ8 in Manhattan from '60 to '66. That probably has something to do with it.

The City was considering renumbering all the Squads (i.e. 1, 2, 3, etc.), so when 154 was reorganized as a Squad, it was designated Squad 8.

The renumbering plan never came to be.

You've probably been up all night wondering what happened to Squad 23 in the list of the squads employed by FDNY during WWII.

With preliminary telegraph signal '9' used for the special call for Special Units, terminal telegraph signals '21-24' were used to identify searchlight units.

My guess is that the Department went down to one searchlight unit during the war (particularly with war time blackouts), and that unit was Searchlight 23 (Bronx), and retained terminal signal '23'.

Is there a reason why squad 8 didn't become squad 154 like the rest of the squads using their old engine co numbers?
I think I remember reading on here or somewhere else that they wanted to keep 154 for the possible re-establishment of Engine 154