News of Members

For our own WillyD!!

• 1921 – The first fast food restaurant in the world was invented in the US back in 1921, in the form of White Castle, and the popularity of fast food has grown exponentially ever since.
AND

• 1953 – McDonald’s opens its first franchise.

Check out this video of the Kitchen Table

With retired member Jay Walsh (WarWagon i think is his user name)

Jay is a retired member of the FDNY

Check out this video of the Kitchen Table

With retired member Jay Walsh (WarWagon i think is his user name)

Jay is a retired member of the FDNY

Brad, I believe his user name is "hosewagon"

Brad, as you know he comes from an entire family of firefighters.

Jays father, a Retired Hartford Fire Captain and later became the Chief of the Willimantic, Ct Fire Department.

Jays brother Paul, famous for his EXCELLENT Fire Department Paintings, I believe is a Retired Deputy Chief from the New Britain, Ct Fire Department

Brad, as you know, Jays nephew Matt (Paul's son) is a New Haven Firefighter assigned to their very Busy Rescue Co., who is also dating, maybe married now, a member of a very busy FDNY Bronx company.

Also, I believe Lt Tim Klett now retired FDNY Engine 88 is a close family relative.

Last edited:
That's okay "memorymaster", you paid your dues - that for sure.
BUT - it's nice to know that we still have people who like you, are out there saving lives as the Great Tradition Continues.

Oh, and let's not forget "johnnyGage" as I think he put some time in with NYC EMS too ..... ????
emsdan.jpg

ON THIS DATE: AUGUST 6...

1979 I was appointed to Washington DC Fire Department...
1982 I resigned from Washington DC FD...
1982 I was appointed to FDNY...
2002 I retired from FDNY ( due to 9/11 )
...Aug 6, I celebrate my special day!...Yee haa!

ProbyDan.jpg 2.proby dan.jpg

Is this where the term 86'ed came from?
Good point I like the logic...and actually I know the answer. When I was in L 5, our hangout after work was Chumley's Bar in Greenwich Village. Back in the prohibition days it was a speak easy with two exits, one entrance. On Barrow street you entered and exited through a garden, the other exit was on 86 Bedford Street. The door on Bedford Street had no markings, just an 86. If a raid was impending, the "bartenders" would tell every one to "86 it", meaning scram out that secret door. (Google Chumley's, NYC for the scoop.)

NYNCYchumley_spino1.jpg

I was "shown" the door at Chumley's by some guys from Jersey City during a pub crawl in November 2001.

You'll be pleased to know that there's a Houston District Chief (who I think is actually working today) who claims he drank for free there by helping the bartenders install an air conditioner.

I was "shown" the door at Chumley's by some guys from Jersey City during a pub crawl in November 2001.

You'll be pleased to know that there's a Houston District Chief (who I think is actually working today) who claims he drank for free there by helping the bartenders install an air conditioner.
Ah, not a secret, if you came in and said you were a fireman, from anywhere, your $$ was no good, behind the bar all members of E 24 and L 5.!

The night I was in Chumley's it was wall-to-wall uniforms. I think half the San Francisco FD was there. No wonder they had no money to fix the chimney and pay off the neighbors.

And what happened to the portrait of Captain Drennan behind the bar?

Lebby, you sure are making the rounds.
I understand that about two weeks ago you stopped by to see "68jk09" down there in N.C.

So I guess it's vacation time from your very busy days of the FDNY/EMS
Certainly "well deserved that's for sure".

Maybe (hopefully) you and myself, along with a few others will be meeting up in October in what I call; "the Sixth Boro of the New York City" - Yonkers.

Lebby, you sure are making the rounds.
I understand that about two weeks ago you stopped by to see "68jk09" down there in N.C.

So I guess it's vacation time from your very busy days of the FDNY/EMS
Certainly "well deserved that's for sure".

Maybe (hopefully) you and myself, along with a few others will be meeting up in October in what I call; "the Sixth Boro of the New York City" - Yonkers.
First vacations in a year. Next stop Indiana Dunes NP and then on to Pittsburgh.

PNC Park in Pittsburgh is a must from what I hear
They're playing the mariners this weekend. My wife's best friend lives out there, so we go often, I'll definitely go when the yanks or Mets are playing. Soto had a good showing last night.