04-09-12 Staten Island 5th Alarm Box

Lone319Wolf I tip my hat to you for this undertaking, it is not an easy thing.  I wish you the best taking on a task that will help all companies that get to use them saving time and confusion.

mack

Administrator
Is there any concern being raised regarding possible exposure to landfill toxins for members operating at this fire?  I know for years there were claims of increased cancer rates in neighborhoods surrounding the SI landfill.  I have only found reports which indicate there is no reason for concern, which should answer my question.  But an example of a study indicates some "air contaminants of concern":

1,1,2-Trichloroethane
1,2-Dichloroethane
Acetaldehyde
Acrolein
Arsenic
Benzene
Beryllium
n-Butyraldehyde*
Cadmium  Carbon tetrachloride
Chloroform
Chromium
Formaldehyde
Hexanal*
Hydrogen sulfide
Methacrolein*
Methylene chloride  Nickel
Particulate matter (PM2.5, PM10, TSP)
Propionaldehyde
Sulfates*
Tetrachloroethylene
m-Tolualdehyde*
Trichloroethylene
Vinyl chloride 

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/hac/pha/pha.asp?docid=195&pg=2

Seems like a lot of unhealthy stuff to me, even if the levels are low. I would dread seeing a repeat to the 1975 NY Telephone Company fire ( http://articles.nydailynews.com/2004-03-14/news/18256332_1_fdny-telephone-fire-von-essen )

mack

Administrator
This fire location reminded me of the loss of Lt Charles Hunt, Engine 166, April 15, 1977, falling through some planks on an old bridge over Fresh Kills Creek, late at night, after extinguishing a fire in the landfill.  He was checking the area with the officer in Ladder 86, went through the bridge, dropped about 20 feet into the dark murky water, and died from drowning and injuries from the fall.  Lt Hunt was highly thought of and his death was a sad loss.  RIP.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Having current route cards is important but they are normally made to give directions from a fire house to the box location.  How about adding a new section for a company that might be on the road coming from another run, start at a major intersection near the new box location that someone can easily find & give directions from that point.
Another idea would be to create in your local 1, 2, & 3 due areas a street file index to help find odd ball streets or less known locations.  Once you reach the box location, a relocated company might need information how to find some of these side streets & where to enter them at. This is more important in Staten Island & others areas of the city that is seeing a boom in building construction.
In Staten Island I have seen old large sized private homes converted into modern condo type complexes with one or more streets being developed.  None of the large mapping companies show most of these min-streets in their book maps. If they do, the print is hard to read. There was one block in Engine 165 area that contained multiple small developments within this block. Signs for private streets vary in size & are sometimes hard to locate. 
Another problem in S.I. is that the contractors change the street names some times after submitting their original plans to the city for approval, failing to submit the name change.  I was directed to a street one time that I was unable to find. After making a phone call to confirm that I was at the right location, I returned the next day to find the entrance. It was blocked by low hanging branches. Inside were three or four homes with a nearby hydrant. The companies never knew that the street was there. One of the homes belonged to a federal official. When I walked the street I was greeted by the congressman. 
I know that some of the Staten Island Fire Dispatchers were on their own time maintaining a street file also drawing on the back of a card a map to where the street is located. With the dispatchers no longer being stationed on the island I am not sure if this is still being done. But the department does maintain a street file unit that is responsible for updating this type of information.
Today with each fire company having computers in their station, this info can be kept in a homemade date base & update when other new streets are discovered or a name is changed or added. Index cards can be printed.  Companies have to share this information with surrounding units & even the battalions. Please don?t forget your dispatchers.
Another problem needed to address is vanity addresses. With this situation, the file should show the new fancy address that first responders might now know & the real easy old fashion address that some- one can find right away. 

In Chicago there are no vanility  addresses. About 10 yrs ago there was a high-rise fire around 2AM. Occuppant they were trapped on xx floor. She gave the address as XXXX on the xx floor. Dispatch did not accept this as a valid address, it was a vanity address.  The occupant was found dead by CFD. I will not post the vanity/fire building address.GG

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I am aware of the incident, & heard the tape of the call. Thanks for updating us that Chicago did away with the vanity addresses. I which that NYC would do the same.

Well I guess the rundown has to start somewhere, while E 206 was relocated into 319 earlier tonight a few guys were talking about the job.

E 206 responded on the 5th Alarm.

Atleast this is a start..... ;)

Lone319Wolf said:
Well I guess the rundown has to start somewhere, while E 206 was relocated into 319 earlier tonight a few guys were talking about the job.

E 206 responded on the 5th Alarm.

Atleast this is a start..... ;)
IF in quarters, E154 is definitely the first due to this. I would guess the initial assignment would also include E166 and I have no idea who else. It seems like a very long trek for a second truck to this box though.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
163 should be third due on the 1st in that area  - so that would give us 154-166-163    86 & 83

Sanitation also lost a whole lot containing front end loaders & such type equipment used at this site....most hydrants were OOS or poor pressure.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        http://www.silive.com/opinion/editorials/index.ssf/2012/04/sanitations_folly.html 

First alarm : E154,E166,E168 - L86, L84 BN23
EXTRA ENGINE AND TRUCK : E163, L83
ALL HANDS : RESCUE 5 AND SQUAD 1 BN22
SECOND ALARM: E158,E165,E157,E159-SAT5- L85,L80
THIRD ALARM: E155,E156,E160,E156,-L77,L78
FOURTH ALARM: E162,E151,E276.......-L82,L149

--that may not be correct, just a guess. I don't know about any of the Brooklyn companies,
So i did not put them in, although they were there.I didnt finish the fourth alarm
Assignment because I figured it would be a Brooklyn company and i didnt know which
One it would be.  :)

norshor said:
154 and 166 were on another box. 158 first due on the ticket.
158 beats 168? Is that due to the poor access 168 has to the West Shore despite being just off it?