1/5/21 Manhattan 4th Alarm Box 1797

Picture a trench cut in the roof usually at a distance or a transition point of the building used to prevent the fire from extending the entire length of the roof. works well when coordinated with hose teams and trucks pulling ceilings below. Can be time consuming and fire moves faster than the trench can be opened.

Rundown shows L52 on the 4th alarm
That is just my point. They are a lot closer then some of the 2nd and 3rd alarm trucks that were sent. The Engine was never sent.
Is there a policy in effect that prevents them from leaving Riverdale?

There is no official policy that I am aware of, that being said they 52’s are the most northern company in the Bronx so if they do send them the entire area from Fordham Road with Sedgwick Ave up to city line has no fire protection until a relocation gets up there. So it’s is easier to just send companies from below that area to fire. Yes I’m aware they are closer but nobody wants to take the chance and strip a huge area for a long duration until relocated units arrive. I finished up my 35 plus years in 52 and tried many times to get us assigned only to be told about low availability and so on. Every so often we did get sent somewhere to a multiple and chiefs would ask us how did you get assigned over here. I know we got automatic coverage if we went out of service for 30 minutes or more and companies would relocate for day tour during medicals or education day.
Funny thing is the 52’s do respond on highway boxes on Henry Hudson down to dyckman street and sometimes to 181 st. which would be real quick route to this particular fire.

There is no official policy that I am aware of, that being said they 52’s are the most northern company in the Bronx so if they do send them the entire area from Fordham Road with Sedgwick Ave up to city line has no fire protection until a relocation gets up there. So it’s is easier to just send companies from below that area to fire. Yes I’m aware they are closer but nobody wants to take the chance and strip a huge area for a long duration until relocated units arrive. I finished up my 35 plus years in 52 and tried many times to get us assigned only to be told about low availability and so on. Every so often we did get sent somewhere to a multiple and chiefs would ask us how did you get assigned over here. I know we got automatic coverage if we went out of service for 30 minutes or more and companies would relocate for day tour during medicals or education day.
Funny thing is the 52’s do respond on highway boxes on Henry Hudson down to dyckman street and sometimes to 181 st. which would be real quick route to this particular fire.
So similar to 151/76 which I believe are also must-fill companies when they’re operating for more than 30 mins. Again due to their remote location. I was wondering why the 52s weren’t assigned earlier on this either. Thanks.

There was a policy back before the War Years, and maybe after, that the 52s did not leave Riverdale for multiple alarm assignments. That was a holdover from the days of horse drawn and non radio motorized apparatus. A look at the old Run Cards shows that they stayed put. Riverdale was too remote (and high taxpayer occupied) to be left uncovered. As Mack8146 says, not official anymore, but maybe still a holdover, and smart in practice, by today’s dispatchers.

Next time don’t park your buff car on the fire block

I like photographing fires as much as the next guy but this is over the top! What's with the whacker lights? They actual respond with them? I can't imagine the guys on the job put up with this behavior. I know If I did that in my area the guys would be pulling me aside real quick!

Next time don’t park your buff car on the fire block

To those who chase fires, also referred to as BUFFS, the advice given here by "Fdny000" is 100 % correct.

If this car pointed out in the photo belongs to any one of OUR MEMBERS, you are reminded NOT to park within the block of the incident, so that fire apparatus needed are NOT delayed into the scene.

I speak to you as a Buff of the FDNY, as well as other cities, and as a firefighter who has seen delays in placing much needed equipment NOT able to get into place for proper Firefighting and certainly the Urgent Rescue of those trapped.

In my days of chasing the rigs, I would ALWAYS park at least Two blocks away and usually on a side street. I would certainly NOT double park.

I have seen during my buff days when buffs would park their cars as close as possible to the fire building. Their cars get blocked in with additional rigs arriving, hose in the street, etc. I can PROMISE YOU should you continue to do your actions, YOU will be BLOCKED IN for a much longer time than you might have wanted.

Should that happen to you, "there'll be NO Sympathy from those who YOU Blocked from doing their jobs".

We have many Active and Retired Firefighters on this site. They've been there and understand fully what this is all about.

To those who chase fires, also referred to as BUFFS, the advice given here by "Fdny000" is 100 % correct.

If this car pointed out in the photo belongs to any one of OUR MEMBERS, you are reminded NOT to park within the block of the incident, so that fire apparatus needed are NOT delayed into the scene.

I speak to you as a Buff of the FDNY, as well as other cities, and as a firefighter who has seen delays in placing much needed equipment NOT able to get into place for proper Firefighting and certainly the Urgent Rescue of those trapped.

In my days of chasing the rigs, I would ALWAYS park at least Two blocks away and usually on a side street. I would certainly NOT double park.

I have seen during my buff days when buffs would park their cars as close as possible to the fire building. Their cars get blocked in with additional rigs arriving, hose in the street, etc. I can PROMISE YOU should you continue to do your actions, YOU will be BLOCKED IN for a much longer time than you might have wanted.

Should that happen to you, "there'll be NO Sympathy from those who YOU Blocked from doing their jobs".

We have many Active and Retired Firefighters on this site. They've been there and understand fully what this is all about.
Perfectly said. But the sad part is they don’t get the message. They walk around the fire ground with job pullovers and soc bdu pants. With handie talkies. So no one will think twice of who they are. One of the parties involved with squad 99 has been under suspicion from many urban cities in north jersey

Perfectly said. But the sad part is they don’t get the message. They walk around the fire ground with job pullovers and soc bdu pants. With handie talkies. So no one will think twice of who they are. One of the parties involved with squad 99 has been under suspicion from many urban cities in north jersey

Any information, as well as pictures, and details should probably be passed onto the FDNY Fire Marshalls for further investigation.

NYS VTL
§ 1218. Crossing fire hose. No vehicle shall be driven over any unprotected hose of a fire department when laid down on any street or private driveway, to be used at any fire or alarm of fire, without the consent of the fire department official in command.

There is a section in the NYC Traffic Regs relating to the same situation. The City would rather have summonses issued under NYC regs rather than New York State laws. Can you guess why? $$$$$$$

They get members of FDNY jammed up with the videos they post
There are devices recording your actions everywhere, I have been out for a while, but had to deal with people with cell phones recording what you were doing, especially on EMS runs. You go on a run today and by the time you get back to the firehouse, your actions could be posted and have been seen by people half way around the world. Its out there, not just persons chasing fires and emergencies, everybody has a phone, doorbell cameras, security camers, etc. You really have to be cognizant of your actions.....

So similar to 151/76 which I believe are also must-fill companies when they’re operating for more than 30 mins. Again due to their remote location. I was wondering why the 52s weren’t assigned earlier on this either. Thanks.
Pretty sure that policy is still in effect for 151/76. Are there any other houses besides 52s and 151/76 that get the must fill? I thought 54/4 is one.

Not sure how up to date the list is but:

Brooklyn (Must Fill)
L-168 (Must Be A Rearmount)
B-31

Bronx(Must Fill/Do Not Relocate)
E-52
E-63
E-70
E-72
L-39
L-52
L-53(Must Be a TL)