11/1/20 Queens 10-75 Box 4995

Fire Location: 20 1st Street

Fire in 2 PDs on the Nassau Border

B-54 we have 3 houses going now. Water loss issues with the vollies. We are stretching lines.

E-314,311,264,328
L-158,134,155(Fast)
B-54,47
R-4
Sq-270
D-13
Rac-4

D-13 All Hands

*Meadowmere FD 10-84*

70480C70-BDFB-4D48-9805-FF8BC830566D.jpeg

Last edited:
FOURTEEN Nassau County departments on scene including: Meadowmere, Meadowmere Park, Lawence-Cedarhurst, Woodmere, Inwood, Long Beach, Hewlett, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, East Rockaway, Oceanside, the Nassau County Fire Marshal's Command Center and, for good measure and with tongue in cheek, a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

All of this for an area that is one block wide and five blocks long. More fire apparatus on scene than there are cars belonging in the neighborhood. Tell me there wasn't confusion. BTW: the fire location on West St. (sorry, Kevin, not 1st St.) is outside the city limits.

Last edited:
Phone Alarm Box 4995 - 20 First St. - Report of a fire opposite this location - 05:50

QD (#158) to E-314: I'm told there's a fire in Meadowmere Park - That's probably what the caller is looking at.

TL-158: We see smoke coming from a building - Go with a 10-75.
QD: At this address?
TL-158: We're not at the address yet, we see it from a distance.
QD: Okay, because they have a working fire in Nassau County, is that what you're seeing?
TL-158: Standby.
QD: So I'm holding off on transmitting anything yet, correct?
TL-158: 10-4

E-314: Listen, this job is in Nassau County, they have 2 houses going - We can access one of the houses & help them out - Ask permission from the 54.
QD: The 54 will be there shortly, await their arrival. - 05:55

B-54: We're at the border - We're finding out if they need mutual aid - 05:56

B-54: Give a 10-75 at this box - Nassau County is requesting mutual aid - Companies are going to work - 06:02

D-13: Can the 54 provide a sizeup?
QD to B-54: You have a preliminary?
B-54: I'm still making my way over there - There's a major issue with tight streets & a ton of rigs over here - 06:06

B-54: Advise the 13 we have 3 houses going - There's some water loss issues with the vollies - Our units are still in the process of stretching lines - It's a corner property with 3 houses in a single block - we have a collapse of one house - 06:14

FDNY Staging: South St. at West Ave.

D-13: It appears that we had a gas explosion here - We need a priority response from the gas company - 06:17

D-13: Special call a Satellite unit due to the water issues - 06:22

D-13: All Hands - The original fire building has collapsed - Fire extended into exposure 2 & 4 - DWH - 06:29

D-13: We have fire coming from a gas main in the original fire building - At this time fire is extending into exposure 4a - The vollies are operating in exposure 4 & 4a - FDNY units are in exposure 2 - DWH - 06:36

Last edited:
Meadowmere Park is separate from Meadowmere, and is on an island totally separate from Long Island. See my map:

!MPFD.jpg

It is protected by the volunteer Meadowmere Park FD, which operates two engine companies which protect the 96 dwellings and commercial properties on the island.

!MP.jpg

About how many runs does Meadowmere Park get annually? Are they allowed to leave the island?

Meadowmere Park has to be one of the most strange and ambiguous neighborhoods out there. I believe it is part of Lawrence school district. But right across the Blvd is Rosedale Queens. There may even be blocks in that tiny neighborhood that belong to Queens. Much like Floral Park but on a way tinier scale.

It’s basically part of the five towns, an extension of Far Rockaway, and an extension of Rosedale all rolled into one. I grew up playing baseball right across the street from there - and my parents tell me when moving from Flushing back in the day, they almost bought a house there.

Planes flying 100 feet overhead, waterfront community, and the scene where Andrew Hill in Goodfellas slams on his breaks when searching for helicopters on his last day of freedom before he gets pinched for phony plane tickets.

A private dwelling exploding from a gas leak is horrific. I hope all are ok. This is happening with more frequency the last 10 years. Queens Village, Harlem, the East Village, and now good ole Meadowmere Park have had this spontaneous incident. God Bless.

From photos , it looks like one of the vollie companies caught the hydrant at the corner of the fire house.

Very interesting rundown.

Back in the 60’s and 70’s E317 & L165 were 3rd due and 2nd due respectively. It was their longest run on a first alarm assignment.

From what I can see the vollies did a good job their 14 depts is probably equivalent to our 3rd alarm ( since they were calling for engines, trucks and relief companies)......and yes they took the hydrant in front of their quarters ...I only counted 10 depts there is no meadowmere fd and Lawrence Cedarhurst is one dept....and the fire marshals command center is actually a field comm....over all I think they did ok working with the city

Last edited:
In Aug '95 Mutual Aid was sent to the Hamptons..... I was going to the North Fork that Sat. morning I was going along the LIE from QNS & as I was going along there was a constant stream of Volly Rigs getting on at different points .... they were flying by....every so often I would see a boot or a broom or other equipment that flew off one of their Rigs......this was the same weekend coming up to the BKLYN 16 Alarm St George Hotel Fire....in this link to Frank Raffa's excellent site is a story by Steve DeRosa detailing the events..... www.fdnewyork.com/stgeorge.asp

Who ends up being the IC for this box? Did D13 direct both FDNY Members and Vollies?
The senior Meadowmere Park Chief on scene would be the incident commander. D13 would have had no authority over the volunteers. The incident was OUTSIDE THE CITY LIMITS.

In Aug '95 Mutual Aid was sent to the Hamptons..... I was going to the North Fork that Sat. morning I was going along the LIE from QNS & as I was going along there was a constant stream of Volly Rigs getting on at different points .... they were flying by....every so often I would see a boot or a broom or other equipment that flew off one of their Rigs......this was the same weekend coming up to the BKLYN 16 Alarm St George Hotel Fire....in this link to Frank Raffa's excellent site is a story by Steve DeRosa detailing the events..... www.fdnewyork.com/stgeorge.asp
St. George fire was outrageous. I worked North Bklyn at that time and we had a ton of work on Clark, Pineapple and Hicks repairing drop wires, cable and wiring apartments that went up in 111 Hicks and other buildings. Amazing scene.

Hopefully everyone is ok there I saw the explosion video also. What a way to wake up. Unfortunately I've seen this all too recent in my own family and prayers are up for everyone who lost their homes.

Anybody ever got to the Bayhouse which is on the water in Meadowmere / Rosedale. https://www.vpike.com/?place=155-57+Bayview+ave+Qns+ny&submit=+Street+View+ .....the Family of a FF who used to be in my Company owned the place...it is in a Queen Ann type bldg....he grew up on the second floor of the bldg....one day we were there for lunch & he said come upstairs I want to show you something....we went to the room he had lived in which was now used for storage ....it had a big window with a shade pulled down....he said "just stand here awhile" (facing the shade) he was looking at his watch after a few minutes he pulled the shade up as a giant plane zoomed barely over the bldg...I looked like it was coming thru the window.....you could see the bolts on the under carriage of the plane...(he knew the flight schedule & the frequency to the flights)....workers from JFK used to come on small utility boats & tie up to the bulkhead & come in for lunch& or dinner....... http://www.bayhousebar.com

Last edited: