2/9/22 Queens All Hands Box 6832

Address: 114-108 231st St. off 115th Ave.

Fire on the 2nd floor of a 2 story PD

Box loaded up due to calls.

E-317: 10-75 - Fire on the 2nd floor - 14:23

L-150 FAST

B-54: All Hands - Extra E&T (E-275 & L-133) - 14:24

B-54: 2 L/S, 1 L/O -DWH - 14:27

B-54: PWH - 14:39

D-13: Under Control - 15:03

Maybe:
E-317, 304, 314, 301, 275 s/c
L-165, 162, 150F, 133 s/c
B-54, 53
R-4
SQ-270
D-13
RAC-4

Last edited:
Just curious why, or how, does it show fire blazing out the windows on the "still" of the video then when click play it's already knocked down? ls it a photo, or if you have actual footage as such, why would you not include it in the video?
its a still photo

I'm not from an aerial so please bare with me...what advantage does it give to come in almost perpendicular to the building? I see the tree but if you just leave the turntable clear of that you're ok. Not Monday morning quarterbacking but if the front is a bit more open the fast truck or tower ladder if needed could have a shot at the front also

Start by saying I'm not a fan of apparatus placement critique using either video or pics that don't start upon arrival. The conditions at the time of the pictures may very well be quite different from when the ECC/LCC pulled up. (and had literally 10 seconds to decide on placement). That said, it would appear to me that 165 had excellent position. He gave 317 room to hook up to its conveniently placed hydrant. And he allowed himself to shoot the aerial over the cab...always the quickest way to get it in place...not having to swing it up and over trees. He had access to both dormers for VES. As for leaving room for other truck companies...having worked in Manhattan for 25 years, many in the vacant years...I'm well accustomed to grabbing a piece of the fire building (and roof) while still leaving room for a TL should the need arise. But 4 years in South Jamaica taught me that PDs are fast moving operations, where the life hazard, especially in the attic is severe...and immediate. Get there as soon as you can...and if conditions in a detached PD later call for an outside operation...so be it. I also learned that the chauffeurs of 165 Truck know what they're doing. JMO...Stay safe.

Wasn't critiquing just looking for some insight, which you provided, thank you...I also wasn't insinuating that L-165's chauffeur(s) don't know what they were doing

Sorry Bud....When I used the term "critique", I wasn't implying you were being critical of the operation. Can't think of a job I ever went to where either in the kitchen afterwards, or in my head later....I didn't go over what had happened and asked myself what I could have done better. We always use the term "critique" for that process. In your original post, you wondered why 165 had taken the position demonstrated in the video. I attempted to explain it, at least through my eyes. As for 165's chauffeurs (along with 126's, 127's, 155's and 150's)...being new to that area I watched them and, even after 25 years, learned from them. Never thought you questioned their ability. Stay safe.