3/26/24 Baltimore MD Bridge Collapse

It odd FDNY would have sent like 5 times that amount of equipment on the 10-60 2nd Alarm.
To be fair we have the capability to be able to send that and sustain normal operations. Besides pretty much 24/7 our Bridges are PACKED

Two of the six victims have been recovered, there names are, Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, a native of Mexico who lived in Baltimore, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, a native of Guatemala who lived in Dundalk. Two other victims have been identified but not recovered, Miguel Luna, of El Salvador. And Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, 38, of Honduras.

The NTSB has released a timeline of events that led to this crash,

Approximately 12:39 a.m.: The ship departed from Seagirt Marine Terminal.

By 1:07:00 a.m.: The ship had entered the Fort McHenry Channel.

01:24:59 a.m.: Numerous audible alarms were recorded on the ship’s bridge audio. At about the same time, the VDR stopped recording ship system data but was able to continue recording audio using a different power source.

01:26:02 a.m.: The VDR resumed recording ship system data. During this time, steering commands and orders regarding the rudder were captured on audio.

01:26:39 a.m.: The ship’s pilot made a general very high frequency (VHF) radio call for tugboats in the vicinity to assist the vessel. Around this time, the pilot association dispatcher contacted the Maryland Transportation Authority duty officer regarding the blackout, according to transit authority data.

Around 01:27:04 a.m.: The pilot ordered that the ship’s port anchor be dropped and issued additional steering commands.

Around 01:27:25 a.m.: The pilot issued a radio call over the VHF radio, reporting that the vessel had lost all power and was approaching the bridge. Around this time, the transit authority duty officer radioed two of its units — one on each side of the bridge — that were already on scene and ordered them to close traffic on the bridge. All lanes were then shut down.

Around 01:29 a.m.: The ship’s speed over ground was recorded at just under 8 miles per hour. From this moment until approximately 1:29:33, the VDR audio recorded sounds consistent with the collision with the bridge. Additionally, MDTA dash cameras show the bridge lights extinguishing.

01:29:39 a.m.: The pilot radioed the US Coast Guard to report the bridge was down.

The NTSB has a theory that sabotaged fuel has had something to do with the crash.

The Mexican President has said that "Migrants go out and do dangerous jobs at midnight" and that they "do not deserve to be treated as they are".

Two of the six victims have been recovered, there names are, Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, a native of Mexico who lived in Baltimore, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, a native of Guatemala who lived in Dundalk. Two other victims have been identified but not recovered, Miguel Luna, of El Salvador. And Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, 38, of Honduras.

The NTSB has released a timeline of events that led to this crash,

Approximately 12:39 a.m.: The ship departed from Seagirt Marine Terminal.

By 1:07:00 a.m.: The ship had entered the Fort McHenry Channel.

01:24:59 a.m.: Numerous audible alarms were recorded on the ship’s bridge audio. At about the same time, the VDR stopped recording ship system data but was able to continue recording audio using a different power source.

01:26:02 a.m.: The VDR resumed recording ship system data. During this time, steering commands and orders regarding the rudder were captured on audio.

01:26:39 a.m.: The ship’s pilot made a general very high frequency (VHF) radio call for tugboats in the vicinity to assist the vessel. Around this time, the pilot association dispatcher contacted the Maryland Transportation Authority duty officer regarding the blackout, according to transit authority data.

Around 01:27:04 a.m.: The pilot ordered that the ship’s port anchor be dropped and issued additional steering commands.

Around 01:27:25 a.m.: The pilot issued a radio call over the VHF radio, reporting that the vessel had lost all power and was approaching the bridge. Around this time, the transit authority duty officer radioed two of its units — one on each side of the bridge — that were already on scene and ordered them to close traffic on the bridge. All lanes were then shut down.

Around 01:29 a.m.: The ship’s speed over ground was recorded at just under 8 miles per hour. From this moment until approximately 1:29:33, the VDR audio recorded sounds consistent with the collision with the bridge. Additionally, MDTA dash cameras show the bridge lights extinguishing.

01:29:39 a.m.: The pilot radioed the US Coast Guard to report the bridge was down.

The NTSB has a theory that sabotaged fuel has had something to do with the crash.

The Mexican President has said that "Migrants go out and do dangerous jobs at midnight" and that they "do not deserve to be treated as they are".
Nice of the Mexican President to speak up . Did the little marxist stooge happen to voice any concern for the thousands of his own citizens brutally murdered by his business associates in the drug cartels?

What is the point of adding the line about the Mexican president? It has no bearing on the event.

Nice of the Mexican President to speak up . Did the little marxist stooge happen to voice any concern for the thousands of his own citizens brutally murdered by his business associates in the drug cartels?
What is the point of adding the line about the Mexican president? It has no bearing on the event.
That was his reaction about the Bridge Collaspe.

Let's just keep the families of those who lost their LOVED ONEs in Our Prayers.
As well as be Very Thankful for the fact that it certainly could have been Much Worse if NOT for the excellent job done by our emergency first responders.

Thank you
NFD2004 - Moderator

I posted above about the Box 414 Association's response to this incident. They are not the only RAC/Rehab organization that responded. The Box 234 Association out of Pikesville, just northwest of Baltimore, also has and has had a major presence with their two units. Also, Chic-Fil-A has one of their mobile kitchens on site providing free food for the responders. Photos courtesy Chic-Fil-A Eastpoint (Baltimore).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 8
Let's just keep the families of those who lost their LOVED ONEs in Our Prayers.
As well as be Very Thankful for the fact that it certainly could have been Much Worse if NOT for the excellent job done by our emergency first responders.

Thank you
NFD2004 - Moderator
Agreed 100%

I also saw this afternoon that DonJon out of NJ had dispatched pretty much all of their heavy hitter tugs and barges, most of which were already in the C&D canal heading for Baltimore. Help is on the way

Salvage ops have been called off after discovery that a high pressure gas main runs beneath the accident scene. The local authority has isolated the main but in the meantime salvors are concerned the bridge structure itself ia basically sawing thru the ship with every tide

Bulldog

Bulldog
Salvage ops have been called off after discovery that a high pressure gas main runs beneath the accident scene. The local authority has isolated the main but in the meantime salvors are concerned the bridge structure itself ia basically sawing thru the ship with every tide

You would think that somebody should've known that immediately after the collision!

To be fair we have the capability to be able to send that and sustain normal operations. Besides pretty much 24/7 our Bridges are PACKED
My question is, if the incident is out in the middle of the water and at a time when very few victims are involved, how can sending many, many land based units to the scene be useful ? I can see sending fire boats, divers, ambulances and helicopters but I don't see how a large number of pumpers and aerials can assist in this type of rescue. If I am incorrect please pardon my ignorance and explain this to me how the multiple land fire fighting units can be helpful. Thank you.

My question is, if the incident is out in the middle of the water and at a time when very few victims are involved, how can sending many, many land based units to the scene be useful ? I can see sending fire boats, divers, ambulances and helicopters but I don't see how a large number of pumpers and aerials can assist in this type of rescue. If I am incorrect please pardon my ignorance and explain this to me how the multiple land fire fighting units can be helpful. Thank you.
In my own opinion, in this situatuion specifically above the special operations units there really isnt much else land based units could do other in the initial response beyond providing manpower.

Once the SAR and initial fire prevention/structural concerns were addressed its become a plan and prevent event. Thats not to say going forward its going to be a by the book evolution by any means, Baltimore FD will have plenty of work by the time this is wrapped ip.

For when very few victims are involved yes, but do keep in mind the majority of FDNY Companys are trained in Water-Rescue (all I believe have but more have more advanced equipment for normal operations.) Granted even as designated Water Rescue units there will only be so much they can do.

You would think that somebody should've known that immediately after the collision!
You would think that everybody would know. You would think that it would be on navigation charts.

When I had a summer job on a surveying gang on the Houston Ship Channel, we worked on a segment where several pipelines crossed the Channel. At that time, The Houston Channel was dredged to 40 feet MSL and 200 feet on either side of the centerline.....except over the pipelines where it was dredged to only 36 feet MSL. Go figure. Everyone knew where the low bridge was; and why.

Does anyone have a rundown of the BCFD companies that were on scene as well as any companies from the surrounding counties?

Does anyone have a rundown of the BCFD companies that were on scene as well as any companies from the surrounding counties?
From User @LaurenSkye

"Here's what I could gather from dispatch audio:
Baltimore City: Engine 57, Engine 13, Engine 35, Engine 50, Ladder 6, Ladder 21, Squad 26, Squad 54, Squad 40, Rescue Boat 1, Rescue Boat 2, HazMat 1, Medic 9, Medic 2, Medic 20, EMS 6, EMS 1, Battalion 1, Battalion 6, EMS Battalion, Dive Coordinator, Safety 4, Car 1, Car 5

Baltimore County: Engine 57, Engine 6, Engine 9, Engine 16, Tower 17, Squad 213, Squad 262, USAR 17, Marine 217, Marine 219, Marine 269, Swift Water 35, Swift Water 48, Swift Water 17, Dive 748, MET 26, MET 21, Utility 17, Special Operations Response Team (SORT) 50, Rehab 20, Canteen 20, Medic 8, Medic 13, Medic 6, Medic 15, Medic 9, Medic 58, EMS 6, EMS 7, EMS 4, EMS 1, Safety 1, Safety 2, Safety 3, Battalion 31, Chief 2

Hartford County: Special Ops 89, Swift Water 8, Swift Water 15-1, Swift Water 15-2
Anne Arundel County: Boat 19
Prince George's County: Engine 855B, Engine 841, Mass Casualty 841, Mass Casualty 855, EMS 800, Chief 855"

From User @LaurenSkye

"Here's what I could gather from dispatch audio:
Baltimore City: Engine 57, Engine 13, Engine 35, Engine 50, Ladder 6, Ladder 21, Squad 26, Squad 54, Squad 40, Rescue Boat 1, Rescue Boat 2, HazMat 1, Medic 9, Medic 2, Medic 20, EMS 6, EMS 1, Battalion 1, Battalion 6, EMS Battalion, Dive Coordinator, Safety 4, Car 1, Car 5

Baltimore County: Engine 57, Engine 6, Engine 9, Engine 16, Tower 17, Squad 213, Squad 262, USAR 17, Marine 217, Marine 219, Marine 269, Swift Water 35, Swift Water 48, Swift Water 17, Dive 748, MET 26, MET 21, Utility 17, Special Operations Response Team (SORT) 50, Rehab 20, Canteen 20, Medic 8, Medic 13, Medic 6, Medic 15, Medic 9, Medic 58, EMS 6, EMS 7, EMS 4, EMS 1, Safety 1, Safety 2, Safety 3, Battalion 31, Chief 2

Hartford County: Special Ops 89, Swift Water 8, Swift Water 15-1, Swift Water 15-2
Anne Arundel County: Boat 19
Prince George's County: Engine 855B, Engine 841, Mass Casualty 841, Mass Casualty 855, EMS 800, Chief 855"
Awesome! Thanks!

RCL

Does anyone know if our Fire department responded to assist Baltimore City/County and other area fire departments?
Heard an excellent evaluation of what could have prevented the bridges destruction by the ship. An expert engineer stated, on Fox News, that many bridges have under water projection in place to stop/divert a ship before it hits the bridge structure.
Capitan Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
From what I understand, prior to the Tampa Skyway bridge collapse in 1980, underwater pier protection was almost non existent. After the Skyway was taken out by the Summitt Venture, in 1980 did anyone start to seriously look at protecting the piers and making modifications to existing bridges. The Key bridge was built prior to the Skyway incident and had standard piers. I've seen some talk about protecting the original piers, basically country wide, but nothing ever has really come from it. I don't know how many were protected vs left as is.