3/31/24 Brooklyn 5th Alarm / 10-66 Box 0270

Why don't they just do away with assignment cards if the dispatchers are going to assign companies as they wish?
Do they still have them & are they in quarters. I know the old ones are because I checked a few times to see certain boxes we used to be 2nd due on , but lost them to other companies.

It’s a fog nozzle thing that’s been proven incorrect. You can push air, but it's minimal and doesn’t really cause issue. Even less with the solid bore nozzles that FDNY uses and most of the American fire service is getting back to.
If a floor etc is not fully involved using the tower ladder stream extended the fire backwards. It happened to us, until we learned otherwise. Did it on a vacant building or two. 😳

Why don't they just do away with assignment cards if the dispatchers are going to assign companies as they wish?
What are you talking about? Assign companies as we wish? Where do you guys come up with some of these things?
That’s a very bold, inflammatory and not true statement.

If you work for the fdny you’re more than welcome to come up to the office and see how things are done. Send me a message to set it up.

What are you talking about? Assign companies as we wish? Where do you guys come up with some of these things?

If you work for the fdny you’re more than welcome to come up to the office and see how things are done. Send me a message to set it up.
Pretty sure he doesnt work here.

And i blame BARB, and politics of long gone company commanders and local politicians over the decades. Dispatchers just trying to do their jobs just like everyone else.

Really ignorant statement! Do you really believe the dispatchers just assign who they wish? Do you think the FDNY as a whole would allow dispatchers to just do that? That’s like saying the members make up their own assignments; ie: the roofman decides to go to the first due engine and take the first line in on the nozzle!!!

Good for you! It’s time to call out these blatant statements. Being a retired dispatcher I know how difficult it can be. Many moving parts to manage at once. The reasonable second guessing is endless. Put all that together and then add in totally ignorant people and it’s maddening!

“{ FDNY BOX 0270 ~ BROOKLYN }”…..”{ NEWS CONFERENCE BY FDNY FIRST DEPUTY COMMISONER PFEIFER, FDNY ASSISTANT CHIEF CURRAO AND FDNY ASSISTANT CHIEF OF SAFETY MEYERS REGARDING THE 5TH ALARM FIRE IN THE RECTORY AREA OF OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY OF POMPEII CHURCH THIS PAST EASTER IN BROOKLYN, NEW YORK CITY }”…..

Yeah... 214 was Assigned on 10-66, then Returned when 10-66 is Rescinded, then Not Assigned or even Relocated on subsequent Alarms :unsure:
Yeah either someone at the BCO (Thats the Brooklyn CO abbreviation right?) was either not paying attention or 214 was just staying off the radio.

Yeah either someone at the BCO (Thats the Brooklyn CO abbreviation right?) was either not paying attention or 214 was just staying off the radio.
I wouldn't throw the words of "not playing attention" when it comes to these top flight dispatchers, especially one of the best.
E-214 isn't assigned until 1st due on the 4th. It's common for normal units not to get assigned because of the relocators being assigned.
Yes they were assigned on the 10-66 then placed back in service. Who says they didn't get another run(s) after that and weren't available

Last edited:
For any of us who are NOT sitting in the FDNYs Dispatchers seat, "LET's NOT Criticize the Job THEY DO".
The FDNY Dispatchers are probably the busiest and most experienced in the entire country.

Same is TRUE for the FDNY Firefighters and their Officers, as well as FDNY/EMS and the 911 Call Takers.
Too easy to sit back and Monday Morning Quarterback without being involved in the direct moment.

Let's Respect One Another As Well As Those Who Are Assigned To Perform In The Heat Of Battle.
As Well As Respect One Another Here On This Web Site

THANK YOU ALL FOR UNDERSTANDING.

For any of us who are NOT sitting in the FDNYs Dispatchers seat, "LET's NOT Criticize the Job THEY DO".
The FDNY Dispatchers are probably the busiest and most experienced in the entire country.

Same is TRUE for the FDNY Firefighters and their Officers, as well as FDNY/EMS and the 911 Call Takers.
Too easy to sit back and Monday Morning Quarterback without being involved in the direct moment.

Let's Respect One Another As Well As Those Who Are Assigned To Perform In The Heat Of Battle.
As Well As Respect One Another Here On This Web Site

THANK YOU ALL FOR UNDERSTANDING.
I Hope My Comment Re; 214 was not taken as Criticism; It was more of a Question/Comment...
I Agree ' FDNY Dispatchers are probably the busiest and most experienced in the entire country'.

Rock On. 😎

First of all, I don't know if there are any current up-to-date assignment cards that are in quarters or accessible to units in quarters.
The point seems to be that even if there were, they're almost useless since the recent trend toward assigning relocators before the next due units on the cards.
The dispatchers use their discretion and if overall that is better for the ongoing operation, that's fine.
The only time I can see the assignment card being followed up to a point is if a multiple is transmitted upon arrival before any relocators are even chosen.
Is my theory accurate?

First of all, I don't know if there are any current up-to-date assignment cards that are in quarters or accessible to units in quarters.
The point seems to be that even if there were, they're almost useless since the recent trend toward assigning relocators before the next due units on the cards.
The dispatchers use their discretion and if overall that is better for the ongoing operation, that's fine.
The only time I can see the assignment card being followed up to a point is if a multiple is transmitted upon arrival before any relocators are even chosen.
Is my theory accurate?
That was my point. I was not diissin the disp. I was saying the alarm assignment cards are antiquated.

That was my point. I was not diissin the disp. I was saying the alarm assignment cards are antiquated.
Your comment about a multiple on arrival is, in my opinion, correct. What is happening now, especially at a job where it’s mere minutes before the next alarm is tapped in or special calls requested, makes sense, as long as relocating unit doesn’t give a bogus 10-10, just to go to the job. Minutes count. Just my opinion.

Alarm assignments cards haven’t been issued to units in over 30 years. I requested as a yong officer over 20 years ago and was told no. BARB is over 10 years old.
Box assignments can be looked up in quarters on the computer.

I would have thought 229 would have been 3rd due., only 1.5 miles in with 146.

I don't recall hearing that in 38 years, unless it's a fairly new scientific breakthrough. I'm just trying to be objective, based upon what I see in the video and the multiple windows already taken on the 2nd floor. I'm trying to visualize where air would be "entrained." Back in the 70's if a line, Stang or Tower Ladder wasn't kept moving, you were spoken to be the I.C. later.
It’s new, you want solid stream and straight as now to introduce air by whipping the line around

The whole dispatcher sending replicators before assigned units is ridiculous but there is a place for it however in my opinion it’s not until later alarms. Especially in Brooklyn where companies are so close to each other there is no reason a relocator is sent before the normally assigned 4th or 5th due truck. Is blatantly obvious when you see certain trucks always relocated for a good job and put on the box immediately. Companies relocated from the same area and all put on the box while companies get relocated to the relocated companies area. All while the 4th and 5th due trucks sit in quarters. There’s too much discretion. A relocation is meant to protect the area that the job is in while the companies assigned there can’t.

I noticed another video on YouTube that shows the first alarm responding and going to work. First due units were hampered by devices over the windows.