6/14/11 Visit to the Shops

Fire Bell Club had its annual visit to the FDNY Shops on 6/14/11. I got a couple of shots of new apparatus. The first group is of L123's new Ferrara rearmount showing the new rear access steps, Smeal aerial ladder and a view from the turntable: 
20110614image0001.jpg

G-man thanks for the pictures.

Does anyone know when the new apparatus (rearmounts and rescues) are going into service?

1261Truckie said:
G-man thanks for the pictures.

Does anyone know when the new apparatus (rearmounts and rescues) are going into service?

I was told that they have some issues to resolve and do not have firm service entry dates

mercurygrandmarquis1 said:
Thanks for uploading these Tom. Are the ladders on the back of the rear mounts foldable?
  They have small hydraulic arms like on a car hood and they swivel and rest against the truck body.

FF Germany said:
What are these shops?

The shops also known as "Red Square" is the main facility for the Dept.'s Div. of Repairs and Transportation. All FD vehicles are repaired there and given preventive maintenance. Some of the smaller jobs are handled by mechanics who have a well supplied truck and tools to do smaller repairs right at the company quarters. Also the tool shop is located in the building handling axes, halligan tools, ladders, saws and on and on. The nickname "red square" comes from when there are so many apparatus awaiting service that they are parked around the square block that the facility encompasses as there is no room inside for them. Many years ago, this building was also used as the "Fire College" which is now the "Bureau Of Training" and located on Randalls Island. In addition, the "Clarence Meek" department library was quartered there. The library is also on Randalls Island now. I hope this answered part of your question. :D