6/14/11 Visit to the Shops

memory master said:
FF Germany said:
What are these shops?

The shops also known as "Red Square" is the main facility for the Dept.'s Div. of Repairs and Transportation. All FD vehicles are repaired there and given preventive maintenance. Some of the smaller jobs are handled by mechanics who have a well supplied truck and tools to do smaller repairs right at the company quarters. Also the tool shop is located in the building handling axes, halligan tools, ladders, saws and on and on. The nickname "red square" comes from when there are so many apparatus awaiting service that they are parked around the square block that the facility encompasses as there is no room inside for them. Many years ago, this building was also used as the "Fire College" which is now the "Bureau Of Training" and located on Randalls Island. In addition, the "Clarence Meek" department library was quartered there. The library is also on Randalls Island now. I hope this answered part of your question. :D

Good info, just a couple of corrections.  Preventative Maintenance is handled at the PMP shop on Randall's Island at the Fire Academy.  I believe there is also a facility in Staten Island that serves this purpose as well.  Battalion and Division vehicles are serviced at the facility that handles the department's ambulance fleet.  I'm not sure where this is.  The mobile mechanics you covered, known as the Emergency Crew are an excellent resource and do well at keeping companies in service longer.  Unfortunately, there are only two of them covering the city.  They're over-worked and we could use more.  Lastly, there is one more mobile repair unit and that is the tire truck.  This rig carries spare tires and wheels and will make these repairs in quarters as well.

HCO

Some corrections and updates to Reply 18:

?Shops? is the collective term for Fleet and Technical Services operations and includes multiple functions at several locations.

The Fleet Services Division, located at 43-34 35th Street in the Queens borough of the city, is the location of the principal fire apparatus service facility as well as management offices.  The Division manages a fleet of over 2100 vehicles.  The facility handles those vehicles over 20,000 pounds gross weight, which includes all fire fighting apparatus.  A nearby annex facility, at 59 Paidge Avenue, Brooklyn, houses strategic supplies and equipment and is the principal location for spare apparatus.

The Support Services Shop is at 55-30 58th Street, Queens, takes care of vehicles of lesser weight e.g. ambulances and chiefs? vehicles.

Three Preventive Maintenance facilities are located Brooklyn, Staten Island, and at the Department?s Training Academy on Randalls Island in Manhattan.

Technical Services Division is a short distance from the 35th Street facility, at 34-11 47th Ave, Queens.  That building houses Division management, the Fire Tools and Equipment Unit, the Medical Equipment Unit, and the Medical Supply Unit.

Thanks men for adding on to my reply. I was just trying to keep it simple but I'm sure he appreciates the indepth answer. Stay well and stay safe!

How can some one visit the shops to take pictures of the rig that are there? Do you just ask some one there or what needs to be done?

There are also some outsourced repairs that take care of a couple of jobs. One of them being Long Life on Ft. Hamilton and 39th. You can usually catch a vehicle either in their shop or parked on the street.

"Longlife" is primarily a spring and front end shop. I was in there years ago and what a pig sty. The floor was covered by about 2 inches of trampled grease. Don't even think of using the men's room in that place. It's greasier and dirtier than the shop area.

116ff60 said:
How can some one visit the shops to take pictures of the rig that are there? Do you just ask some one there or what needs to be done?

Some buff groups have trips there, such as the Bell Club.  In general, you can't just show up and walk around.  It's a really busy place with many large heavy things up in the air.  I don't think they generally accommodate people who just want to look around and photograph.  It's just too busy.

Red Square: Dug this up...........

redsquarer.jpg

I sure remember seeing that during those rather busy years. The entire large city block around the Shops had rigs parked on the street. Sometimes Double parked.

Those were some very tough times for the FDNY and the entitre city. The War Years, Budget Cuts, in 1977 the Blackout, The Huge Brooklyn job (10 Alarmer with little water pressure from open hydrants), and throw in the "Son of Sam".

The Federal government threw in the towel and refused to help the City out. "Red Square" as it was known, just added to the problems.

Somewhere along things changed. There are little if any rigs parked outside the Shops today. Numerous parts of the City have been completely cleaned up with all the buildings rehabbed. Whoever got the ball rolling, "they did a Great job".

But I sure do miss those old days. Just something about it. It even smelled different.

Thanks for bringing back those "Red Square Memories"