6-27-80...FFs FRISBY & FITZPATRICK LODDs.

Thanks to fivestar......
From the daily news 2020

www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-remembering-firefighter-gone-40-years-20200627-xlwtnrhpsjbnpe3hbytptwqjxq-story.html%3foutputType=amp

A letter from a woman who witness the bravery and tragedy of this sad event firsthand.

Dear Mrs. Fitzpatrick:
I really don’t know how to write a letter like this but I’ll try. I witnessed the last heroic deed of your husband and was simply amazed by his fete. His Bravery was something I never saw before. I watched as if it was a movie. I was trying to help in any way I could. The firemen which your husband was apart are brave men. Your husband took charge of the situation with a no-nonsense attitude. In my heart I know if he had to go it would be in an effort to help his fellow man. God Bless him and your family. I wish to God I could bring both men back but I can only pray for their families. I wish I had more to give but I want his children to know that their father died a brave man who risk everything in an effort to save a fellow fireman. I’m the only person other than his friends to see what really happen.
God Bless You, Birdie Hall

6-27-80.....
Uniformed Firefighters Association of Greater New York
· Instagram ·
Today, we honor the lives and legacies of Firefighter Larry Fitzpatrick from Rescue 3 and Firefighter Gerard Frisby from Ladder 28, who were tragically lost on this day in 1980. While bravely carrying out their duties at a fire in Harlem, Firefighter Frisby found himself separated from his team inside the engulfed building. He urgently called for help from a window, and it was Firefighter Fitzpatrick who heard his desperate pleas from the roof.
Without hesitation, Firefighter Fitzpatrick sprang into action and swiftly organized a Roof Rope Rescue. Skillfully, both firefighters were secured to the rope and prepared to descend from the rooftop. However, as the rope tightened, the coping on the roof gave way, and a piece of tile severed the rope, leading to the devastating fall of Firefighter Fitzpatrick and Firefighter Frisby, claiming their lives.
Our hearts and prayers reach out to the families of these brave individuals who still carry the weight of this profound loss. We want them to know that we will forever cherish the memories of Firefighter Fitzpatrick and Firefighter Frisby. May they rest in peace, and may their spirits continue to inspire and guide us.

CONTINUED REST IN PEACE BROTHERS.

6-27-80.....
Uniformed Firefighters Association of Greater New York
· Instagram ·
Today, we honor the lives and legacies of Firefighter Larry Fitzpatrick from Rescue 3 and Firefighter Gerard Frisby from Ladder 28, who were tragically lost on this day in 1980. While bravely carrying out their duties at a fire in Harlem, Firefighter Frisby found himself separated from his team inside the engulfed building. He urgently called for help from a window, and it was Firefighter Fitzpatrick who heard his desperate pleas from the roof.
Without hesitation, Firefighter Fitzpatrick sprang into action and swiftly organized a Roof Rope Rescue. Skillfully, both firefighters were secured to the rope and prepared to descend from the rooftop. However, as the rope tightened, the coping on the roof gave way, and a piece of tile severed the rope, leading to the devastating fall of Firefighter Fitzpatrick and Firefighter Frisby, claiming their lives.
Our hearts and prayers reach out to the families of these brave individuals who still carry the weight of this profound loss. We want them to know that we will forever cherish the memories of Firefighter Fitzpatrick and Firefighter Frisby. May they rest in peace, and may their spirits continue to inspire and guide us.

CONTINUED REST IN PEACE BROTHERS.

Attachments

• IMG3454802829008408235.jpg
    IMG3454802829008408235.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 10
As a FF during the war years it seemed like some fires were a learning lesson for something we had never experienced before. We had the waldbaum's fire that had a dome roof that failed, we had row frame fires in Bushwick were we had to go to exposure 2b or 2c to check for extension in the cockloft, and the loss of Capt. Kohler in R4 shutting off the utilities in the basement without a mask and succumbing to carbon monoxide. He was the Capt. of 233 when I was in the 2nd section there and everybody told him to leave there because he was getting on in years. He then transferred to 286, but worked a tour in R4 and lost his life. So now never go in the basement alone and without a mask. So not knowing what we encounter at the next job, hopefully no loss of life but a little bit of a learning experience. Being out of the job for a long time, I know there is still a learning curve that is still educating the Fire Service, perfect example is the Lithium fires they are being exposed to now.