8/1/22 Manhattan All Hands Box 0277

Address: 174 Delancey St. off Attorney St.

Fire on the top floor of a 5 story 25x40 class 3 MD

B-4: 10-75 - Fire on the top floor - Extra E&T (E-6 & H&L-6) - 13:53

H&L-20 FAST

B-4: All Hands - 2 L/S, 1 L/O - DWH - 13:58

B-4: PWH - 14:04

D-1: Under Control - 14:18

Duration: 29 Min.

Maybe:
E-15, 28, 9, 55, 6 s/c
L-18, 11, 20F, 6 s/c
B-4, 1
R-1
SQ-18
D-1
RAC-1

Last edited:
Here a little info that building has a rear tenement behind it! Circled in red in photo.
Rear tenements…is the only way to access them through the building in front (corridor you walk straight back through)?

I can imagine the added challenge this brings to fire operations. Longer stretches, and doesn’t look like laddering the rear tenement is possible if need be?

FDNYstatenisland..yes. Rear tenements come with a unique set of hurdles. Access is generally straight through the ground floor hallway of the OLT on the street and out the back. The buildings are generally small, usually three or four stories. Very compact inside, small apartments just off the interior stairs. 35 footer to the rear thru the front building, tip first..out the door and up. No room to swing the ladder around. Roof ventilation almost impossible..rarely a gooseneck to the roof. Long stretches as you said, gonna get your ass kicked. Remember one on 12 street. Heavy fire.. had the OV. Woman on the roof of the three story building, very badly burned. I was on the 35 ft ladder, a few rungs from the roof, begging her to stay put. She took a running start and jumped right over my head to the ground below. Also remember at that job, Gary Geidel, 9/11 Rest In Peace, maybe a few months out of probie school, leaving the grizzled members of 28/11 awestruck as he went above the heavy fire and opened the roof from the interior! Great fireman! Anyway, like anything else, drill, drill drill. No surprises at 3am. Stay safe.